Elevated levels of arachidonic acid in fish from northern Australian coastal waters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The fatty acid composition of 10 species of fish caught off the northwest coast of Australia (latitude 17°S) was examined. All species contained high levels of ω6 fatty acids (9.6–23.1% of total fatty acids) with arachidonic acid being the major ω6 fatty acid (5.9–14.8% of fatty acids). Docosatetraenoic and docosapentaenoic acids of the ω6 series accounted for 3–8% of the total fatty acids. The ratio of ω6 to ω3 fatty acids in these fish varied from 0.38 to 0.93, compared with an average ratio of 0.16 for fish from the northern hemisphere (latitude >30°N). The present data and figures from the literature indicate that the marine food chain in the southern hemisphere contains significant quantities of ω6 fatty acids.
- O'Dea, K., and Sinclair, A.J. (1982) Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 36:868–872.
- Sinclair, A.J., McLean, J.G., and Monger, E.A. (1979) Lipids 14:932–936. CrossRef
- Dodge, J.T., and Phillips, G.B. (1967) J. Lipid Res. 8:667–675.
- Ackman, R.G. (1982) in Nutritional Evaluation of Long Chain Fatty Acids in Fish Oil (Barlow, S.M., and Stansby, M.E., eds.) p. 25, Academic Press, Inc. (London) Ltd.
- Exler, J., Kinsella, J.E., and Watt, B.K. (1975) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 52:154–159.
- Castell, J.D. (1979) Proc. World Symp. on Finfish Nutrition and Fishfeed Technology 1:60–82.
- Nair, P.G.V., and Gopakumar, K. (1978) J. Food Sci. 43:1162–1164. CrossRef
- Akulin, V.N., and Pervuninskaya, T.A. (1978) Nauch. Soobschch. Inst. Biol. Morya. Dal'nevost. Nauchn. Tsentr. Akad. Nauk SSSR 3:5–8, in Chem. Abstr. (1980) 92:91236v.
- Johns, R.B., Nichols, P.D., and Perry, G.J. (1980) Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 65B:207–214.
- Johns, R.B., Nichols, P.D., and Perry, G.J. (1979) Phytochemistry 18:799–802. CrossRef
- Pearson, J.A. (1977) CSIRO Food Res. Q. 37: 33–39.
- Bannatyne, W.R., and Thomas, J. (1969) N. Z. J. Sci. 12:207–222.
- Pearson, J.A. (1978) CSIRO Food Res Q. 38: 62–64.
- Gibson, R.A. (1983) Lipids 18, 000-000.
- Nelson, N.M., Kelly, R. C., and Johnson, R.A. (1982) Chem. Eng. News 60:30–44.
- Elevated levels of arachidonic acid in fish from northern Australian coastal waters
Volume 18, Issue 12 , pp 877-881
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors