Effects of coconut oil on heart lipids and on fatty acid utilization in rapeseed oil
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Male adult Sprague-Dawley rats were fed diets containing 15% by weight of sunflower oil, coconut oil, rapeseed oil or combinations of these oils for 5 or 60 days. The digestibility of erucic acid (22∶1), lauric acid (12∶0) and linoleic acid (18∶2) was measured and found to be decreased for erucic acid at both time intervals, and for lauric acid after 60 days when coconut oil and rapeseed oil were blended. The cardiac lipodosis was proportional to the content of erucic acid in the diet. At 60 days, the high level of 22∶6 in the cardiac phospholipids of rats fed rapeseed oil was reduced by the addition of sunflower oil but not by coconut oil. Thus, the blending of rapeseed oil with coconut oil apparently is less desirable than that of rapeseed oil and sunflower oil.
- Rocquelin, G., and R. Cluzan, Cah. Nutr. Diet. 6:85 (1971).
- Jørgensen, E.A., in “Rapeseed,” edited by L.A. Appelqvist and R. Ohlson, Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1972, p. 301.
- Abdellatif, A.M.M., Nutr. Rev. 30:2 (1972). CrossRef
- Rocquelin, G., R. Cluzan, N. Vodovar and R. Levillain, Cah. Nutr. Diet. 8:103 (1973).
- Vles, R.O., in “The Role of Fats in Human Nutrition,” edited by A.J. Vergroesen, Academic Press, London, 1975, p. 433.
- Rocquelin, G., Med. Nutr. 13:269 (1977).
- Rocquelin, G., B. Martin and R. Cluzan, in “Proceedings Int. Conf. Sci. Technol. Marketing Rapeseed and Rapeseed Products,” Ste Adele, Québec, Canada, 1970, p. 405.
- Abdellatif, A.M.M., and R.O. Vles, Nutr. Metabol. 13:65 (1971). CrossRef
- Hung, S., T. Umemura, S. Yamashiro, S.J. Slinger and B.J. Holub, Lipids 12:215 (1977). CrossRef
- Beare-Rogers, J.L., and E.A. Nera, Lipids 12:769 (1977). CrossRef
- McCutcheon, J.S., T. Umermura, M.K. Bhatnagar and B.L. Walker, Lipids 11:545 (1976).
- Rocquelin, G., Nutr. Metabol. 23:98 (1979).
- Walker, B.L., S.P. Lall, S.J. Slinger and H.S. Bayley, in “Proceedings Int. Conf. Sci. Technol. Marketing Rapeseed and Rapeseed Products,” Ste Adele, Québec, Canada, 1970, p. 377.
- Thomasson, H.J., J.J. Gottenbos, P.L. Van Pijpen and R.O. Vles, in “Proceedings of International Symposium for Chemistry and Technology of Rapeseed Oil and Other Cruciferae Oils,” Gdansk, 1967, Warszawa, 1970, p. 381.
- Salmon, R.E., in “Proceedings Int. Conf. Technol. Marketing Rapeseed and Rapeseed Products,” Ste Adele, Quebec, Canada, 1970, p. 369.
- Lall, S.P., and S.J. Slinger, Poultr. Sci. 52:143 (1973).
- Engfeldt, B., and E. Brunius, Acta Med. Scand. Suppl. 585:15 (1975).
- Rocquelin, G., and R. Cluzan, Ann. Biol. Anim. Biochim. Biophys. 13:151 (1968).
- Savary, P., and M.J. Constantin, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 125:118 (1966).
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G.M. Sloane-Stanley, J. Biol. Chem. 226:497 (1957).
- Lecerf, J., Biochim. Biophys. Acta 617:398 (1980).
- Clement, G., and J. Bezard, C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris 253:564 (1961).
- Chow, S.L., and D. Hollander, Lipids 13:768 (1978). CrossRef
- Chow, S.L., and D. Hollander, Lipids 14:378 (1979). CrossRef
- Bennetclark, S., and P.K. Holt, J. Clin. Invest. 48:2235 (1969). CrossRef
- French, A.B., M. Le Duc and E. Bingham, Arch. Fr. Mal. Appar. Dig. 61:395 (1972).
- Galabert, C., M. Filliat, J.P. Chazalette, F. Mendy and N. Delhaye, Ann. Pediatr. 22:745 (1975).
- Abdellatif, A.M.M., and R.O. Vles, Nutr. Metab. 12:285 (1970). CrossRef
- Leveille, G.A., R.S. Pardini and J.A. Tillotson, Lipids 2:287 (1967). CrossRef
- Effects of coconut oil on heart lipids and on fatty acid utilization in rapeseed oil
Volume 15, Issue 11 , pp 938-943
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors