Effect of brominated vegetable oils on heart lipid metabolism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Normal rats fed for 105 days on an experimental diet made up of standard laboratory chow supplemented with 0.5% of a mixture of brominated sunflower-olive oil (BVO) developed a significant increase in the triacylglycerol content of the heart, liver and soleus muscle compared to controls. In addition, BVO-treated rats had a decrease in plasma levels of triacylglycerol and total and HDL cholesterol. Plasma fatty acid levels and plasma post-heparin lipolytic activities, such as H-TGL, LPL, T-TGL and MGH were similar to those of control animals fed the standard chow alone.
Heart PDHa (active portion of pyruvate dehydrogenase) was dramatically decreased in the BVO-fed rats. A faster rate of spontaneous lipolysis was recorded in the isolated perfused preparation of hearts from the experimental animals. The addition of 10−7 M of glucagon to the perfusate, however, revealed a lipolytic effect comparable to the one observed in the control rats. In summary, our findings of normal fatty acids and low triacylglycerol plasma levels associated with normal activities of the various PHLA (post-heparin lipolytic activity) enzymes suggest that accumulation of triacylglycerol in heart muscle may not be explained essentially in terms of an elevated uptake and/or increased delivery of plasma fatty acids or plasma triacylglycerol. A decreased in situ catabolism of tissue triacylglycerol also appears unlikely because the spontaneous as well as the glucagon induced lipolysis in the heart both were found to be unimpaired.
Our results suggest that the mechanisms involved in the toxicologic effects of a BVO diet on heart lipid metabolism could be exerted mainly at the level of triacylglycerol biosynthesis rather than a derangement in some known step of their catabolic pathway. Additional studies are necessary to clarify this matter.
- Munro, I.C., Salem, F.A., Goodman, T., and Hasnain, S.H. (1971) Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 19, 62–70. CrossRef
- Munro, I.C., Hand, B., Middleton, E.J., Heggtveit, H.A., and Grice, H.C. (1972) Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 22, 432–439. CrossRef
- Munro, I.C., Hasnain, S., Salem, F.A., Goodman, T., Grice, H.C., and Heggtveit, H.A. (1972) in Myocardiology. Recent Advances in Studies on Cardiac Structure and Metabolism (Bajusz, E., and Rona, G., eds.) Vol. 1, pp. 588–595, University Park Press, Baltimore, London.
- Jones, B.A., Tinsley, I.J., and Lowry, R.R. (1983) Lipids 18, 319–326.
- Jones, B.A., Tinsley, I.J., and Lowry, R.R. (1983) Lipids 18, 327–334.
- Shipp, J.C., Menahan, L.A., Crass, M.F. III, and Chaudhuri, S.N. (1973) Recent Adv. Studies Card. Struct. Metab. 3, 179–204.
- Gartner, S.L., and Vahouny, G.V. (1972) Am. J. Physiol. 222, 1121–1124.
- Hrön, W.T., Jesmok, G.J., Lombardo, Y.B., Menahan, L.A., and Lech, J.J. (1977) J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 9, 733–748. CrossRef
- Lombardo, Y.B., Chicco, A., Mocchiutti, N., Rodi, M.A., Nusimovich, B., and Gutman, R. (1983) Horm. Metab. Res. 15, 69–76.
- Wollenberger, A., Ristau, O., and Schoffa, G. (1960) Pflügers Arch. Gesamie Physiol. Mexachen Piere 270, 399–412. CrossRef
- Krauss, R.M., Windmueller, H.G., Levy, R.I., and Fredrickson, D.S. (1973) J. Lipid Res. 14, 286–295.
- Basilico, M.Z., Gutman, R., Yommi, M.R., Francone, O., and Lombardo, Y.B. (1983) Biomed. Pharmacol. 37, 36–41.
- Gutman, R., Basilico, M.Z., Chicco, A., Rodi, M.A., Nusimovich, B., and Lombardo, Y.B., Horm. Metabol. Res., in press.
- Vogel, W.C., Brunzell, J.D., and Bierman, E.L.A. (1971) Lipids 6, 805–814. CrossRef
- Basilico, M.Z., Castro, G., Nusimovich, B., and Lombardo, Y.B. (1980) Biomedicine 33, 213–216.
- Wieland, O., Siess, E., Schulze-Wethmar, F.H., Funcke, H.G.V., and Winton, B. (1971) Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 143, 593–601. CrossRef
- Wieland, O.H., Patzelt, C., and Loffler, G. (1972) Eur. J. Biochem. 26, 426–433. CrossRef
- Lombardo, Y.B., and Menahan, L.A. (1978) Life Sci. 22, 1033–1042. CrossRef
- Laurell, S. (1966) Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 18, 668–672.
- Leffler, H.H. (1959) Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 31, 310–314.
- Bachorik, P.S., Wood, P.D., and Karlsson, L. (1976) Clin. Chem. 22, 1828–1832.
- Duncombe, W.G. (1963) Biochem. J. 88, 7–10.
- Hüijing, F. (1970) Clin. Chim. Acta 30, 567–572. CrossRef
- Richard, G.M. (1974) Anal. Biochem. 57, 369–376. CrossRef
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, M.J., Farr, A.L., and Randall, R.J. (1951) J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275.
- Davidson, M.B., and Karjala, J. (1970) J. Lipid Res. 11, 609–612.
- Snedecor, G.W.P. (1956) Statistical Methods Applied to Experiments in Agriculture and Biology, pp. 291–292, The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- Denton, R.M., Randle, P.J., Bridges, B.J., Cooper, R.H., Kerbly, A.L., Pask, H.T., Severson, D.L., Stansble, D., and Whitehouse, S. (1975) Mol. Cell. Biochem. 9, 27–53. CrossRef
- Wieland, O.H., Siess, E.A., Weiss, L., Löffler, G., Patzelt, C., Portenhauser, R., Hartmann, V., and Schirmann, A. (1973) Symp. Soc. Exp. Biol. 27, 371–400.
- Wieland, O., Funcke, H.V., and Löffler, G. (1971) FEBS Lett. 15, 295–298. CrossRef
- Kerbey, A.L., Randle, P.J., Cooper, R.H., Whitehouse, S., Pask, H.T., and Denton, R.M. (1976) Biochem. J. 154, 327–348.
- Cornblath, M., Randle, P.J., Parmeggiani, A., and Morgan, H.E. (1963) J. Biol. Chem. 238, 1592–1597.
- Lombardo, Y.B., Gutman, R., Yommi, M.R., Nusimovich, B., and Basílico, M.Z. (1982) Diabetologia 23, 183–184.
- Nikkila, E.A., Huttunen, J.K., and Ehnholm, C. (1977) Metabolism 26, 179–186. CrossRef
- Hollister, L.E., Overall, J.E., and Snow, H. (1976) Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 20, 777–782.
- Albrink, M.J. (1962) Arch. Intern. Med. 109, 345–351.
- Stam, H., and Hulsmann, W.C. (1981) Ann. Nutr. Metab. 25, 11–19. CrossRef
- Murthy, V.A., Bauman, M.D., and Shipp, J. (1983) Diabetes 32, 718–722.
- Murthy, V.A., and Shipp, J. (1980) J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 12, 299–309. CrossRef
- Effect of brominated vegetable oils on heart lipid metabolism
Volume 20, Issue 7 , pp 425-432
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biochemistry, University of Litoral, Santiago del Estero 2829, 3000, Santa Fe, Argentina
- 2. Department of Experimental Medicine, Hospitale Italiano, Buenos Aires, Argentina