Resistance of certain long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine oils to pancreatic lipase hydrolysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
When whale oil triglycerides were subjected to pancreatic lipase hydrolysis, eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids were found mainly in the di- and triglyceride products, suggesting that they are in the 1,3-positions but resistant to the action of the lipase. Their presence in the 1,3-positions was confirmed. Their resistance to pancreatic lipase hydrolysis was demonstrated by analysis of the products of the enzyme action on: (a) a concentrate of highly unsaturated whale oil triglycerides; (b) the latter after randomization; and (c) synthetic 1,2-di-octadecenoyl-3-eicosapentaenoyl glycerol.
Docosapentaenoic acid was also shown to be present in the 1,3-position of whale oil triglycerides but was not lipase resistant. It is postulated that the presence of a double bond near the carboxyl group exercises an inhibitory effect, or that the location of the double bonds in the resistant acids places their terminal methyl groups close to the carboxyl, producing a steric hindrance effect.
- Bottino, N. R., G. Vanderburgh and Raymond Reiser, Federation Proc.25, 301 (1967).
- Hilditch, T. P., and L. Maddison, J. Soc. Chem. Ind. (Trans.)61, 169–173 (1942); Ibid. J. Soc. Chem. Ind. (Trans.)67, 253–257 (1948).
- Luddy, F. E., R. A. Barford, S. F. Herb, P. Magidman and R. W. Riemenschneider, JAOCS41, 693–696 (1964).
- Brockerhoff, H., Arch. Biochem. Biophys.110, 586–592 (1965). CrossRef
- Brockerhoff, H., and R. J. Hoyle, Arch. Biochem. Biophys.102, 452–455 (1963). CrossRef
- Dolev, A., and H. S. Olcott, JAOCS42, 1046–1051 (1965).
- Yurkowski, M., and H. Brockerhoff, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 125, 55–59 (1967).
- Eckey, E. W., Ind. Eng. Chem.40, 1183–1196 (1948). CrossRef
- Raju, P. K., personal communication.
- Ackman, R. G., C. A. Eaton and P. M. Jangaard, Can. J. Biochem.43, 1513–1520 (1965). CrossRef
- Kleiman, R., F. R. Eearle and I. A. Wolff (Abstract) JAOCS42, 147A (1965).
- Blomstrand, R., N. Tryding and G. Westöö, Acta Physiol. Scand.37, 91–96 (1956). CrossRef
- Garton, G. A., T. P. Hilyditch and M. L. Meara, Biochem. J.50, 517–524 (1952).
- Resistance of certain long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine oils to pancreatic lipase hydrolysis
Volume 2, Issue 6 , pp 489-493
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors