On the rate of cholesterol esterification in cord blood serum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cholesterol esterification was studied in adult and cord serum by measureing the initial rate of lecithin-cholesterol acyl transferase (LCAT) activity. Cord serum had about one-third as much free and esterified cholesterol and about one-half as much LCAT as adult serum. When the adult LCAT activities are plotted against the individual's serum free cholesterol levels a straight line relationship results (0.101±.005% cholesterol esterified per min). Cord serum LCAT activities (.135±.0407% cholesterol esterified per min) in the main fall above the adult line. Our results show that cord serum can esterify cholesterol at a rate equal to or higher than adult serum when the LCAT activity is related to the amount of serum free cholesterol present.
- Glomset, J.A., J. Lipid Res. 9:155 (1968).
- Glomset, J.A., Biochim. Biophys. Acta 70:389 (1963). CrossRef
- Glomset, J.A., and J.L. Wright, Ibid. 89:266 (1964).
- Fielding, C.J., and P.E. Fielding, FEBS Letters 15:355 (1971). CrossRef
- Nichols, A.V., and E.L. Gong, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 231:175 (1971).
- Stephanovich, V., Biochem. J. 115:555 (1969).
- Fujita, S., Sapporo Med. J. 33:32 (1968).
- Cooper, R.A., and C.L. Gulbrandsen, J. Lab. Clin. Med. 78:323 (1971).
- Stokke, K.T., and K.R. Norum, Scand. J. Lab. Clin. Invest. 27:21 (1971).
- Glueck, C.J., F. Heckman, M. Schoenfield, P.A. Steiner and W. Pearce, Metabolism 20:597 (1971). CrossRef
- Zak, B., R.C. Dickerman, E.G. White, H. Burnett and P.J. Cherry, J. Clin. Path. 24:1307 (1954).
- Lacko, A.G., H.L. Rutenberg and L.A. Soloff, Fed. Proc. 31:291 (1972).
- Monger, E.A., and P.J. Nested, Clin. Chim. Acta 15:269 (1967). CrossRef
- Zee, P., Pediatrics 39:82 (1967).
- Russ, E.M., M.A. Eder and D.P. Barr, J. Clin. Invest. 23:1662 (1954).
- Sgoutas, D.S., Biochemistry 11:293 (1972). CrossRef
- On the rate of cholesterol esterification in cord blood serum
Volume 7, Issue 6 , pp 426-429
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors