Effects of level and type of dietary fat on incidence of mammary tumors induced in female sprague-dawley rats by 7,12-dimethylbenz(α) anthracene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Female Sprague-Dawley rats on semisynthetic diets containing 10% and 20% by weight of corn oil developed more mammary adenocarcinomas after treatment with a single oral dose of 7,12-dimethylbenz(α)anthracene than similar rats on diets containing only 0.5% or 5% corn oil. Experiments with 10 different fats and oils fed at the 20% level indicated that unsaturated fats enhance the yield of adenocarcinomas more than saturated fats. Fibroadenomas and adenomas were also found in small numbers in all dietary groups but the yield did not seem to be influenced by level or type of dietary fat. The possible relevance of these findings to the incidence of breast cancer in humans is discussed.
- Tannenbaum, A., and H. Silverstone, in “Cancer” Vol. 1 Edited by R.W. Raven, Butterworth & Co., Ltd., London, 1957, p. 306–334.
- Carroll, K.K., E.B. Gammal and E.R. Plunkett, Canad. Med. Ass. J. 98:590–594 (1968).
- Silverstone, H., and A. Tannenbaum, Cancer Res. 10:448–453 (1950).
- Benson, J., M. Lev and C.G. Grand, Ibid. 16:135–137 (1956).
- Dunning, W.F., M.R. Curtis and M.E. Maun, Ibid. 9:354–361 (1949).
- Engel, R.W., and D.H. Copeland, Ibid. 11:180–183 (1951).
- Gammal, E.B., K.K. Carroll and E.R. Plunkett, Ibid. 27:1737–1742 (1967).
- Lea, A.J., Lancet 2:332–333 (1966). CrossRef
- Wynder, E.L., Cancer 24:1235–1240 (1969). CrossRef
- Hems, G., Brit., J. Cancer. 24:226–234 (1970).
- Huggins, C., and N.C. Yang, Science 137:257–262 (1962). CrossRef
- Gammal, E.B., K.K. Carroll and E.R. Plunkett, Cancer Res. 28:384–385 (1968).
- Carroll, K.K., and H.T. Khor, Ibid. 30:2260–2264 (1970).
- Luddy, F.E., R.A. Barford, S.F. Herb and P Magidman, JAOCS 45:549–552 (1968).
- Herb, S.F., P. Magidman and R.W. Riemenschneider, Ibid. 37:127–129 (1960).
- Downey, R.K., B.M. Craig and C.G. Youngs, Ibid. 46:121–123 (1969).
- Jellum, M.D., and R.E. Worthington, Ibid., 43:661–664 (1966).
- Putt, E.D., B.M. Craig and R.B. Carson, Ibid. 46:126–129 (1969).
- Fieser, L.F., “Experiments in Organic Chemistry,” Third Edition, D.C. Heath & Co., Boston, 1955, p. 328.
- Friedner, S., and S. Moberg, Clin. Chim. Acta 18:345–349 (1967). CrossRef
- Deuel, Jr., H.J., “The Lipids”, Vol. 2 Interscience Publishers Inc., New York, 1955, p. 222.
- Thomasson, H.J., and J. Boldingh, J. Nutr. 56:469–475 (1955).
- Carroll, K.K., and R.L. Noble, Endocrinology 51:476–486 (1952). CrossRef
- Deuel, Jr., H.J., A.L.S. Cheng and M.G. Morehouse, J. Nutr. 35:295–300 (1948).
- Carroll, K.K., Canad. J. Biochem. Physiol. 40:1115–1122 (1962).
- Harman, D., Clin. Res. 17:125 (1969).
- Poling, C.E., E. Eagle, E.E. Rice, A.M.A. Durand and M. Fisher, Lipids 5:128–136 (1970).
- Effects of level and type of dietary fat on incidence of mammary tumors induced in female sprague-dawley rats by 7,12-dimethylbenz(α) anthracene
Volume 6, Issue 6 , pp 415-420
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors