Metabolic fate of gossypol: the metabolism of14C-gossypol in rats
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Balance studies designed to obtain information concerning the metabolic fate of gossypol in rats were carried out utilizing two groups of animals. One was fed a basal diet and the other the same diet plus 500 ppm of iron as FeSO4. Single doses of 5 mg each of14C-labeled gossypol (spec. act. 19.8 μCi/mmole) were administered. The animals were maintained in metabolic cages and killed after various periods of time. The data indicate that gossypol was poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and rapidly eliminated from the animal body. Although the main route for gossypol elimination from the animal was by fecal excretion in both treatments, the percentage of the total activity eliminated via the feces varied and depended on the level of iron supplied in the diet. The results demonstrate that gossypol was least excreted via urine and that urinary excretion of radioactivity was diminished by iron supplementation to the diet. Most of the radioactivity retained was found in the contents of different parts of the gastrointestinal tract. Tissues, the liver, muscle, kidney and blood had the highest radioactivity, with the liver having the highest specific activity. The data also demonstrate that addition of iron to the ration diminishes14C radioactivity in the animal body. This effect might be attributed to the formation of chelates that could not be absorbed through the small intestine. Catalysis of the decarbonylation of gossypol by iron also appears to be a factor.
- Kornegay, E.T., A.J. Clawson, F.H. Smith and E.R. Barrick, J. Anim. Sci. 20:597 (1961).
- Menaul, P.J., Agr. Res. 26:233 (1923).
- Graham, J.E., R. Jarguin, R. Bressani, J.M. Gonzalez and L.G. Elias, J. Nutr. 93:241 (1967).
- Lyman, C.M., B.P. Baliga and M.W. Slay, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 84:486 (1959). CrossRef
- Hale, F., and C.M. Lyman, J. Anim. Sci. 20:734 (1961).
- Smith, F.H., and A.J. Clawson, J. Nutr. 87:317 (1965).
- Bressani, R., L.G. Elias and J.E. Braham, Ibid. 83:209 (1964).
- Roehm, J.N., D.T. Lee and R.O. Sinnhuber, Ibid. 92:425 (1967).
- Lyman, C.M., J.T. Cronin, M.M. Trant and G.V. Odell, JAOCS 46:100 (1969).
- Buyske, D.A., R. Kelly, J. Florini, S. Gordon and E. Peets, Advan. Tracer Methodol. 1:158–191 (1963).
- Davidson, J.D., V.T. Oliverio, Ibid. 4:67–79 (1968).
- Abou-Donia, M.B., and C.M. Lyman, Toxicol and Applied Pharmacol, in press.
- Smith, F.A., JAOCS 42:145–147 (1965).
- Lyman, C.M., B.P. Baliga and M.W. Slay, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 84:486–497 (1959). CrossRef
- Royals, E.E., “Advanced Organic Chemistry,” Prentiss-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1961, p. 592–593.
- Rice, F.O., and K.K. Rice, “The Aliphatic Free Radicals,” The John Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 1935, p. 179.
- Gallup, W.D., J. Biol. Chem. 77:437 (1928).
- Withers, W.A., and F.E. Carruth, Ibid. 32:245 (1917).
- Clawson, A.J., F.H. Smith and E.R. Barrick, J. Anim. Sci. 21:911–915.
- Withers, W.A., and J.F. Brewster, J. Biol. Chem. 15:161–166 (1913).
- Eagle, E., Proc. Soc. Experi. Biol. Med. 72:444–446 (1946).
- Muzaffaruddin, M., and E.R. Saxena, JAOCS 43:429–430 (1966).
- Jonossen, H.B., Ibid. 32:424–426.
- Mudge, G.H., Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. 7:163–185 (1967). CrossRef
- Weiner, I.M., Ibid. 7:39–56 (1967). CrossRef
- Milne, M.D., B.N. Schribner and M.A. Crawford, Amer. J. Med. 24:709–729 (1958). CrossRef
- Tanksley, T.D., “The Effect of Gossypol on Some Enzyme Systems,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 1968.
- Williams, R.T., P. Millburn and R.L. Smith, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 123:110–124 (1965). CrossRef
- Millburn, P., R.L. Smith and R.T. Williams, Biochem. J. 105:1275–1281 (1967).
- Haddock, R.P., E.J. Zapolski, M. Rubin and J.V. Princiotto, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 120:663–668 (1965).
- Cater, C.M., “Studies on the Reaction Products of Gossypol With Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, 1968.
- Sharma, M.P., F.H. Smith and A.J. Clawson, J. Nutr. 88:434 (1966).
- Broeck, C.J., H. Van Den and A.P. deGroat, Physiol. Comp. Oecol. 1:148 (1948).
- Hogben, C.A.M., L.S. Schanker, D.J. Tocco and B.B. Brodie, J. Pharmacol. 120:540–545 (1957).
- Schanker, L.D., Pharmacol. Rev. 14:501–530 (1962).
- Metabolic fate of gossypol: the metabolism of14C-gossypol in rats
Volume 5, Issue 11 , pp 938-946
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors