The effect of dietary sterculic acid on the hepatic lipids of rainbow trout
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Groups of young rainbow trout (5 g) were fed a basal diet containing 9% salmon oil and 1% tristearin with 0, 100 or 200 ppm methyl sterculate. Liver lipids were separated into polar and nonpolar fractions and the fatty acids quantitatively analyzed. Significant elevations of the stearic-oleic and the palmiticpalmitoleic ratios were found in liver fatty acid composition 10 days after the feeding trial began. Liver triglycerides of fish fed methyl sterculate for 87 days contained only 2–3% docosahexenoic acid as compared to 10.69% in control trout, suggesting an effect on the biosynthesis of long chain polyunsaturates. Dietary cyclopropenoid fatty acids (CPFA) suppressed growth rate during the first part of the 200 day feeding trial. After 90 days no differences in the rate of weight gain were observed between the control and CPFA groups. A seven day feeding trial with 0, 5, 20, 50 and 100 ppm CPFA resulted in a maximum change in the stearic-oleic ratio at 50 and 100 ppm levels. All levels of CPFA increased this ratio and caused marked alterations in the cellular morphology of the liver.
- Carter, F. L., and V. L. Frampton, Chem. Rev. 64:497–525 (1964). CrossRef
- Phelps, R. A., F. S. Shenstone, A. R. Kemmerer and R. J. Evans, Poultry Sci. 44:358–394 (1965).
- Reiser, R., and P. K. Raju, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 17:8–11 (1964). CrossRef
- Raju, P. K., and R. Reiser, J. Biol. Chem. 242:379–384 (1967).
- Johnson, A. R., J. A. Pearson, F. S. Shenstone and A. C. Fogerty, Nature 214:1244–1245 (1967). CrossRef
- Combs, C. M., “Some Effects of Cyclopropenoid Fatty Acids on Lipid Metabolism in Rainbow Trout (Salmo gairdnerii),” M.S. Thesis, Oregon State University, 1967.
- Sinnhuber, R. O., J. H. Wales and D. J. Lee, Federation Proc. 25:555 (1966).
- Sinnhuber, R. O., D. J. Lee, J. H., Wales and J. L. Ayres, J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 41:1293–1301 (1968).
- Reiser, R., B. Stevenson, M. Kayama, R. B. R. Choudhury and D. W. Hood, JAOCS 40:507–513 (1963).
- Lee, D. J., J. N. Roehm, T. C. Yu and R. O. Sinnhuber, J. Nutr. 92:93–98 (1967).
- Kircher, H. W., JAOCS 41:4–8 (1964).
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. S. Stanley, J. Biol. Chem. 226:497–509 (1957).
- Morrison, W. R., and L. M. Smith, J. Lipid Res. 5:600–609 (1964).
- Farquhar, J. W., W. Insull, P. Rosen, W. Stoffel and E. H. Ahrens, Nutr. Rev. 17:1–30 (1959).
- DeVries, B., JAOCS 40:184–186 (1963).
- The effect of dietary sterculic acid on the hepatic lipids of rainbow trout
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 80-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors