Lymphazurin 1% versus99mTc sulfur colloid for lymphatic mapping in colorectal tumors: A comparative analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The combination of isosulfan blue (Lymphazurin) 1% and 99mTc sulfur colloid (TSC) may improve the feasibility and accuracy of lymphatic mapping for colorectal cancer.
At laparotomy, 1 to 2 mL of isosulfan blue and 1 mCi of TSC were injected subserosally. Sentinel lymph node (SLN) designation was based on blue staining for isosulfan blue and increased radioactivity for TSC. Focused pathologic analysis of the SLNs and standard pathologic examination of the remaining specimen were performed.
A total of 57 consecutive patients were studied (median age, 71 years; 27 men and 30 women). Mapping was successful in 100% of patients with isosulfan blue and in 89% with TSC (P=.47). Lymphatic mapping was accurate in 93% of patients with isosulfan blue versus 92% with TSC (P=.53). The combined accuracy was 95%. A total of 709 lymph nodes were found (12.4 per patient): 553 non-SLNs (5.6% nodal positivity) versus 156 SLNs (16.7% nodal positivity;P<.0001). Isosulfan blue detected 152 SLNs, TSC detected 100, and both modalities detected 96. Of the SLNs detected by isosulfan blue only, 10.7% had nodal metastases, whereas 19.8% of SLNs detected with both modalities had nodal metastases (P=.028). Nodal disease was detected in 41% of patients with invasive carcinoma. Metastases were detected only in the SLNs in 26% and only by micrometastases in 11% of these patients.
These data confirm the efficacy of isosulfan blue and TSC for SLN mapping in colorectal tumors. No significant difference with respect to feasibility or accuracy exists between isosulfan blue and TSC. The metastatic yield is significantly higher in SLNs identified by both modalities compared with isosulfan blue only.
- Morton DL, Wen DR, Wong JH, et al. Technical details of intraoperative lymphatic mapping for early stage melanoma.Arch Surg 1992;127:392–9.
- Giuliano AE, Kirgan DM, Guenther JM, Morton DL. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer.Ann Surg 1994;220:391–401. CrossRef
- Saha S, Bilchik A, Wiese D, et al. Ultrastaging of colorectal cancer by sentinel lymph node mapping technique—a multicenter trial.Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8(9 Suppl):94–8.
- Wong J, Steineman S, Calderia C, et al. Ex vivo sentinel node mapping in carcinoma of the colon and rectum.Ann Surg 2001; 223:515–21. CrossRef
- Kitagawa Y, Fugii H, Mukai M, et al. The roles of the sentinel lymph node in gastrointestinal cancer.Surgical Clinics of North America 2000;80(6):1799–1809. CrossRef
- Bilchik A, Saha S, Tsioulias G, et al. Aberrant drainage of missed micrometastases: The value of lymphatic mapping and focused analysis of sentinel lymph nodes in gastrointestinal neoplasms.Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8(9S):82–85.
- Essner R, Bostick P, Glass E, Foshag L, Haigh P, Wang H, Morton D Standardized probe-directed sentinel node dissection in melanoma.Surgery 2000;127:26–31. CrossRef
- Saha S, Nora D, Wong J, Weise D. Sentinel lymph node mapping in colorectal cancer—a review.Surg Clin North Am 2000;80:1811–9. CrossRef
- Leong SP, Donegan E, Hefferson W, Dean S, Katz JA. Adverse reactions to isosulfan blue during selective sentinel lymph node dissection in melanoma.Ann Surg Oncol 2000;7:361–6. CrossRef
- Longnecker SM, Guzzardo MM, Van Voris LP. Life-threatening anaphylaxis following subcutaneous administration of isosulfan blue 1%.Clin Pharmacol 1985;4:219–21.
- Kuerer HM, Wayne JD, Ross MI. Anaphylaxis during breast cancer lymphatic mapping.Surgery 2001;129:119–20. CrossRef
- Coleman RL, Whitten CW, O'Boyle J, Sidhu B. Unexplained decrease in measured oxygen saturation by pulse oximetry following injection of Lymphazurin 1% (isosulfan blue) during a lymphatic mapping procedure.J Surg Oncol 1999;70:126–9. CrossRef
- Larsen VH, Freudendal A, Fogh-Andersen N. The influence of patent blue V on pulse oxymetry and haemoximetry.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand Suppl 1995;107:53–5. CrossRef
- Scheller J, Unger RJ, Kelner MJ. Effects of intravenously administered dyes on pulse oximetry readings.Anesthesiology 1986;65:550–2. CrossRef
- Kessler MR, Eide T, Humayun B, Poppers PJ. Spurious pulse oximeter desaturation with methylene blue injection.Anesthesiology 1986;65:435–6. CrossRef
- Merrie AEH, Van Rij AM, Phillips LV, Rossaak JI, Kankatsu Y, McCall JL. Diagnostic use of the sentinel node in colon cancer.Dis Colon Rectum 2001;44:410–7. CrossRef
- Lymphazurin 1% versus99mTc sulfur colloid for lymphatic mapping in colorectal tumors: A comparative analysis
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 21-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sentinel lymph node
- Lymphatic mapping
- Colorectal cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, McLaren Regional Medical Center, Michigan State University, 3500 Calkins Road, Suite A, 48532, Flint, MI