Greed is good: Approximating independent sets in sparse and bounded-degree graphs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Theminimum-degree greedy algorithm, or Greedy for short, is a simple and well-studied method for finding independent sets in graphs. We show that it achieves a performance ratio of (Δ+2)/3 for approximating independent sets in graphs with degree bounded by Δ. The analysis yields a precise characterization of the size of the independent sets found by the algorithm as a function of the independence number, as well as a generalization of Turán’s bound. We also analyze the algorithm when run in combination with a known preprocessing technique, and obtain an improved \((2\bar d + 3)/5\) performance ratio on graphs with average degree \(\bar d\) , improving on the previous best \((\bar d + 1)/2\) of Hochbaum. Finally, we present an efficient parallel and distributed algorithm attaining the performance guarantees of Greedy.
- N. Alon, U. Feige, A. Wigderson, and D. Zuckerman. Derandomized graph products.Computational Complexity, 5 (1): 60–75, 1995. CrossRef
- S. Arora, C. Lund, R. Motwani, M. Sudan, and M. Szegedy. Proof verification and hardness of approximation problems.Proc. 33rd Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 14–23, Oct. 1992.
- P. Berman and T. Fujito. On the approximation properties of the independent set problem in degree 3 graphs.Proc. Fourth Workshop on Algorithms and Data Structures pages 449–460. LNCS #955, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1995.
- P. Berman and M. Fürer. Approximating maximum independent set in bounded degree graphs.Proc. Fifth Ann. ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, pages 365–371, Jan. 1994.
- R. L. Brooks. On coloring the nodes of a network.Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc., 37: 194–197, 1991. CrossRef
- V. Chvátal.Linear Programming. Freeman, New York, 1983.
- V. Chvátal and C. McDiarmid. Small transversals in hypergraphs.Combinatorica, 12 (1): 19–26, 1992. CrossRef
- P. Erdős. On the graph theorem of Turán (in Hungarian).Mat. Lapok 21: 249–251, 1970.
- A. V. Goldberg, S. A. Plotkin, and G. E. Shannon. Parallel symmetry-breaking in sparse graphs.SIAM J. Discrete Math., 1 (4): 434–446, No. 1988. CrossRef
- J. R. Griggs. Lower bounds on the independence number in terms of the degrees.J. Combin. Theory Ser. B, 34: 22–39, 1983. CrossRef
- M. M. Halldórsson and J. Radhakrishnan. Improved approximations of independent sets in bounded-degree graphs.Proc. Fourth Scand. Workshop on Algorithm Theory, pages 195–206. LNCS #824, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994.
- M. M. Halldórsson and J. Radhakrishnan. Improved approximations of independent sets in bounded-degree via subgraph removal.Nordic J. Comput., 1 (4): 475–492, 1994.
- M. M. Halldórsson and K. Yoshihara. Greedy approximations of independent sets in low degree graphs.Proc. Sixth Internat. Symp. on Algorithms and Computation, pages 152–161. LNCS #1004, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Dec. 1995.
- D. S. Hochbaum. Efficient bounds for the stable set, vertex cover, and set packing problems.Discrete Appl. Math., 6: 243–254, 1983. CrossRef
- J. Hopcroft and R. Karp. Ann 5/2 algorithm for maximal matchings in bipartite graphs.SIAM J. Comput., 4: 225–231, 1973. CrossRef
- D. S. Johnson. Worst case behavior of graph coloring algorithms.Proc. 5th Southeastern Conf. on Combinatorics, Graph Theory, and Computing, pages 513–527. Congressus Numerantium, X, Utilitas Math., Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1974.
- R. Karp and V. Ramachandran. A survey of parallel algorithms for shared-memory machines. In J. van Leeuwen, editor,Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, volume A, Chapter 17, pages 869–941. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990.
- S. Khanna, R. Motwani, M. Sudan, and U. Vazirani. On syntactic versus computational views of approximability.Proc. 35th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 819–830, 1994.
- E. Kubicka, G. Kubicki, and D. Kountanis. Approximation algorithms for the chromatic sum.Proc. 1st Great Lakes Computer Science Conf. LNCS #507, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Oct. 1989.
- E. Lawler.Combinatorial Optimization: Networks and Matroids. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1976.
- N. Linial. Locality in distributive algorithms.SIAM J. Comput., 21: 193–201, 1992. CrossRef
- L. Lovász. Three short proofs in graph theory.J. Combin. Theory Ser. B, 19: 269–271, 1975. CrossRef
- C. McDiarmid. Colouring random graphs.Ann. Oper. Res., 1: 183–200, 1984. CrossRef
- G. L. Nemhauser and L. Trotter. Vertex packings Structural properties and algorithms.Math. Programming, 8: 232–248, 1975. CrossRef
- C. H. Papadimitriou and M. Yannakakis. Optimization, approximation, and complexity classes.J. Comput. System Sci., 43: 425–440, 1991. CrossRef
- J. B. Shearer. A note on the independence number of triangle-free graphs.Discrete Math., 46: 83–87, 1983. CrossRef
- H. U. Simon. On approximate solutions for combinatorial optimization problems.SIAM J. Discrete Math., 3 (2): 294–310, May 1990. CrossRef
- P. Turán. On an extremal problem in graph theory (in Hungarian).Mat. Fiz. Lapok, 48: 436–452, 1941.
- Twentieth Century Fox.Wall Street. Motion picture, 1987.
- V. K. Wei. A lower bound on the stability number of a simple graph. Technical Memorandum No. 81-11217-9, Bell Laboratories, 1981.
- Greed is good: Approximating independent sets in sparse and bounded-degree graphs
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 145-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Independent set problem
- Approximation algorithms
- Industry Sectors