Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer patients: Triple technique as a routine procedure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Since its introduction in the early 1990s, the sentinel node (SN) concept in breast cancer has been validated by many studies. Because SN biopsy in breast cancer enables the identification of node-negative axillae, the potential morbidity of an axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) can be avoided. The SN procedure is still surrounded by many variables and uncertainties, such as the clinical relevance of micrometastases. However, the main goal is to avoid unnecessary ALND in node-negative breast cancer patients. Sufficient clinical data are available to achieve this goal by incorporating the SN procedure into routine clinical practice. The ultimate safety of the applied technique will be determined by the number of axillary recurrences during long-term follow-up. Preoperative lymphoscintigraphy and intraoperative use of both blue dye and a hand-held gamma probe—the triple technique—has been applied at our institute since early 1994.
- Borgstein PJ, Pijpers R, Comans EF, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: guidelines and pitfalls of lymphoscintigraphy and gamma probed detection.J Am Coll Surg 1998;186:275–83. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, Jones RC, Brennan M, Statman R. Sentinel lymphadenectomy in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol 1997;15:2345–50.
- Giuliano AE, Kirgan DM, Guenther JM, Morton DL. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer.Ann Surg 1994;220:391–401. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, Paganelli G, Viale G, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary dissection in breast cancer: results in a large series.J Natl Cancer Inst 1999;91:368–73. CrossRef
- Rahusen FD, Torrenga H, van Diest PJ, Meijer S. Predictive factors for metastic involvement of non-sentinel nodes in patients with breast cancer.Arch Surg 2001;136:1059–63. CrossRef
- Winchester DJ, Sener SF, Winchester DP, et al. Sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer: experience with 180 consecutive patients: efficacy of filtered technetium 99m sulphur colloid with overnight migration time.J Am Coll Surg 1999;188:597–603. CrossRef
- Hill AD, Tran KN, Akhurst T, et al. Lessons learned from 500 cases of lymphatic mapping for breast cancer.Ann Surg 1999;229:528–35. CrossRef
- Borgstein PJ, Meijer S, Pijpers R. Intradermal blue dye to identify sentinel lymph-node in breast cancer.Lancet 1997;349:1668–9. CrossRef
- Krag DN, Weaver DL, Alex JC, Fairbank JT. Surgical resection and radio-localization of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer using a gamma probe.Surg Oncol 1993;2:335–40. CrossRef
- Pijpers R, Meijer S, Hoekstra OS, et al. Impact of lymphoscintigraphy on sentinel node identification with Technetium-99m colloidal albumin in breast cancer.J Nucl Med 1997;38:366.
- Guenther JM. Axillary dissection after unsuccessful sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer.Am Surg 1999;65:991–4.
- Tafra L, Lannin DR, Swanson MS, et al. Multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer using both technetium sulfur colloid and isosulfan blue dye.Ann Surg 2001;223:51–9. CrossRef
- Linehan DC, Hill AD, Tran KN, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: unfiltered radioisotope is superior to filtered.J Am Coll Surg 1999;337–81.
- Rahusen FD, Torrenga H, van Diest PJ, et al. Predictive factors for metastatic involvement of nonsentinel nodes in patients with breast cancer.Arch Surg 2001;136:1059–63. CrossRef
- Rahusen FD, Pijpers R, van Diest PJ, et al. The implementation of the sentinel node biopsy as a routine procedure for patients with breast cancer.Surgery 2000;128:6–12. CrossRef
- Van Diest PJ, Torrenga H, Borgstein PJ, et al. Reliability of intraoperative frozen section and imprint cytological investigation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer.Histopathology 1999;35:14–8. CrossRef
- Torrenga H, Rahusen FD, Borgstein PJ, et al. Immunohistochemical detection of lymph-node metastases.Lancet 2000;355:144. CrossRef
- Turner RR, Ollila DW, Stern S, et al. Optimal histopathologic examination of the sentinel lymph node for breast carcinoma staging.Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23:263–7. CrossRef
- Cserni G. Metastases in axillary sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer as detected by intensive histopathological workup.J Clin Pathol 1999;52:922–3. CrossRef
- Weaver DL, Krag DN, Ashikaga T, et al. Pathologic analysis of sentinel and nonsentinel lymph nodes in breast carcinoma: a multicenter study.Cancer 2000;88:1099–107. CrossRef
- Tanis PJ, Boom RP, Koops HS, et al. Frozen section investigation of the sentinel node in malignant melanoma and breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8:222–6. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, Zurrida S, Mazzarol G, Viale G. Extensive frozen section examination of axillary sentinel nodes to determine selective axillary dissection.World J Surg 2001;25:806–8. CrossRef
- Zurrida S, Mazzarol G, Galimberti V, et al. The problem of the accuracy of intraoperative examination of axillary sentinel nodes in breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8:817–20. CrossRef
- Roumen RM, Kuijt GP, Liem IH, van Beek MW. Treatment of 100 patients with sentinel node-negative breast cancer without further axillary dissection.Br J Surg 2001;88:1639–43. CrossRef
- Chung MA, Steinhoff MM, Cady B. Clinical axillary recurrence in breast cancer patients after a negative sentinel node biopsy.Am J Surg 2002;184:310–4. CrossRef
- Schrenk P, Hatzl-Griesenhofer M, Shamiyeh A, Waynad W. Follow-up of sentinel node negative breast cancer patients without axillary lymph node dissection.J Surg Oncol 2001;77:165–70. CrossRef
- Newman LA, Hunt KK, Cuchholz T, et al. Presentation, management and outcome of axillary recurrence from breast cancer.Am J Surg 2000;180:252–6. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, Haigh PI, Brennan MB, et al. Prospective observational study of sentinel lymphadenectomy without further axillary dissection in patients with sentinel node-negative breast cancer.J Clin Oncol 2000;18:2553–9.
- Tanis PJ, Nieweg OE, Valdes Olmos RA, et al. Impact of nonaxillary sentinel node biopsy on staging and treatment of breast cancer patients.Br J Cancer 2002;87:705–10. CrossRef
- Turner RR, Chu KU, Qi K, et al. Pathologic features associated with nonsentinel lymph node metastases in patients with metastatic breast carcinoma in a sentinel lymph node.Cancer 2000;89:574–81. CrossRef
- Sachdev U, Murphy K, Derzie A, et al. Predictors of nonsentinel lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patients.Am J Surg 2002; 183:213–7. CrossRef
- Guenther JM, Hansen NM, DiFronzo LA, et al. Axillary dissection is not required for all patients with breast cancer and positive sentinel nodes.Arch Surg 2003;138:52–6. CrossRef
- Langlands AO, Prescott RJ, Hamilton T. A clinical trial in the management of operable breast cancer.Br J Surg 1980;67:170–4.
- Cabanes PA, Salmon RJ, Vilcoq JR, et al. Value of axillary dissection in addition to lumpectomy and radiotherapy in early breast cancer.Lancet 1992;329:1245–8. CrossRef
- Fisher B, Redmond C, Fisher ER, et al. Ten-year results of a randomized clinical trial comparing radical mastectomy and total mastectomy with or without radiation.N Engl J Med 1985;312:674–81. CrossRef
- Cancer Research Campaign Working Party. Cancer research campaign trial for early breast cancer.Lancet 1994;11:55–60.
- Honkoop AH, van Diest PJ, de Jong JS, et al. Prognostic role of clinical, pathological and biological characteristics in patients with locally advanced breast cancer.Br J Cancer 1998;77:621–6.
- Reacht A. Should irradiation replace dissection for patients with breast cancer with clinically negative axillary lymph nodes?J Surg Oncol 1999;72:184–92. CrossRef
- Guenther JM, Krishnamoorthy M, Tan LR. Sentinel lymphadenectomy for breast cancer in a community managed care setting.Cancer J Sci Am 1997;3:336–40.
- Cox CE, Salud CJ, Cantor A, et al. Learning curves for breast cancer sentinel lymph node mapping based on surgical volume analysis.J Am Coll Surg 2001;193:593–600. CrossRef
- Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer patients: Triple technique as a routine procedure
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 11, Issue 3 Supplement, pp 231S-235S
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Axillary lymph node dissection
- Breast cancer
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Triple technique
- Industry Sectors