Lipase-catalyzed production of biodiesel
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Lipases were screened for their ability to transesterify triglycerides with short-chain alcohols to alkyl esters. The lipase fromMucor miehei was most efficient for converting triglycerides to their alkyl esters with primary alcohols, whereas the lipase fromCandida antarctica was most efficient for transesterifying triglycerides with secondary alcohols to give branched alkyl esters. Conditions were established for converting tallow to short-chain alkyl esters at more than 90% conversion. These same conditions also proved effective for transesterfying vegetable oils and high fatty acid-containing feedstocks to their respective alkyl ester derivatives.
- Zaks, A., and A.M. Klibanov, Enzyme-Catalyzed Processes in Organic Chemistry,Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 82:3192–3196 (1985). CrossRef
- Foresee, P., M. Kervinen, P. Linko, T. Suortti, and K.J. Poutanen, Effect of Enzymatic Interesterification on the Melting Point of Tallow-Rapeseed Oil (LEAR),J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69:126–129 (1992).
- Forsell, P., P. Parovuori, P. Linko, and K. Poutanen, Enzymatic Transesterification of Rapeseed Oil and Luric Acid in a Continuous Reactor,70:1105–1109 (1993).
- Claon, P.A., and C.A. Akoh, Enzymatic Synthesis of Geranyl Acetate inn-Hexane with Candida Lipases,71:575–578 (1994).
- Foglia, T.A., K. Petroso, and S.H. Feairheller, Enzymatic Interesterification of Tallow-Sunflower Oil Mixtures,70:281–285 (1993).
- Abraham, G., M.A. Murray, and V.T. John, Interesterification Selectivity in Lipase-Catalyzed Reactions of Low Molecular Weight Triglycerides.Biotechnol. Lett. 10:555–558 (1988). CrossRef
- Mittelbach, M., Lipase-Catalyzed Alcoholysis of Sunflower Oil,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 67:168–170 (1990).
- Linko, Y.-Y., M. Lamsa, A. Huhtala, and P. Linko, Lipase-Catalyzed Transesterification of Rapeseed Oil and 2-Ethyl-1-Hexanol,.71:1411–1414 (1994).
- Lazar, G., Estersynthesen mit Lipasen,Fette Seifen Anstrichm, 87:394–400 (1985). CrossRef
- Shaw, J.-F., and D.-L. Wang, Lipase-Catalyzed Ethanolysis and Isopropanolysis of Triglycerides with Long-Chain Fatty Acads,Enzyme Microb. Technol 13:544–546 (1991). CrossRef
- Cvengros, J., and Z. Cvengrosova, Quality Control of Rapeseed Oil Methyl Esters by Determination of Acyl Composition.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 71:1349–1352 (1994).
- Masjuki, H.H., and S.M. Sapuan, Palm Oil Methyl Esters as Lubricant Additive in a Small Diesel Engine,,72:609–612 (1995).
- Goering, C.E., and B.G. Fry, Enegine Durability Screening Test of a Diesel Oil/Soy Oil/Alcohol Microemulsion Fuel,61:1627–1632 (1984).
- Dunn, R.O., and M.O. Bagby, Low-Temperature Properties of Triglyceride-Based Diesel Fuels: Transesterified Methyl Esters and Petroleum Middle Distillate/Ester Blends,72:895–904 (1995).
- Richardson, D.W., R.J. Joyce, T.A. Lister, and D.F.S. Natusch, Methyl Esters of Tallow as Diesel Component,Proceedings of the International Conference on Energy from Biomass, edited by W. Palz, J. Combs, and D.O. Hall, Elsevier, New York, 1985, pp. 735–743.
- Natusch, D.F.S., D.W. Richardson, and R.J. Joyce, Methyl Esters of Tallow as a Diesel Extender,Proceedings VI, International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Conference, May 21–25, 1984, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 340–346.
- Ali, Y., M.A. Hanna, and S.L. Cuppett, Fuel Properties of Tallow and Soybean Oil Esters.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 72:1557–1564 (1995).
- Ali, Y., and M.A. Hanna, Alternative Diesel Fuels from Vegetable Oils.Bioresource Technol. 50:153–163 (1994). CrossRef
- Freedman, B., E.H. Pryde, and T.L. Mounts, Variables Affecting the Yields of Fatty Esters from Transesterified Vegetable Oils.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 61:1638–1643 (1984).
- Lee, I., L.A. Johnson, and E.G. Hammond, Use of Branched-Chain Esters to Reduce the Crystallization Temperature of Biodiesel,72:1155–1160 (1995).
- McNeill, G.P., and Sonnet, P.E., Isolation of Erucic Acid from Rapeseed Oil by Lipase-Catalyzed Hydrolysis,72:213–218 (1995).
- Mukherjee, K.D., Lipase-Catalyzed Reactions for the Modification of Fats and Other Lipids.Biocatalysis 3:277–293 (1990).
- Sonnet, P.E., T.A. Foglia, and S.H. Feairheller, Fatty Acid Selectivity of Lipases: Erucic Acid from Rapessed Oil,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 70:387–391 (1993).
- Lipase-catalyzed production of biodiesel
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 73, Issue 9 , pp 1191-1195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- alkyl esters
- soy oil
- Industry Sectors