Ethanol extraction of polyphenols in an immersion extractor. Effect of pulsing flow
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comparative study on polyphenol extraction from sunflower press cake in a semicontinuous pulsed-flow immersion extractor and in a conventional laboratory immersion extractor was developed. The solvent was 96% (vol/vol) ethanol. No difference in the residual polyphenol content in the cake was observed at short times, but after 10 h, the pulsed extractor showed a higher polyphenol concentration in the outlet miscella. In addition, the effective diffusivity of polyphenols in sunflower press cake was estimated.
- Sabir, M.A., F.W. Sosulski, and J.A. Kernan, Phenolic Constituents in Sunflower Flour,J. Agric. Food Chem. 22:572–574 (1974). CrossRef
- Shamanthaka Sastry, M.C., and M.S. Narasinga Rao, Binding of Polyphenols by the Isolated Polyphenol-Free 11S Protein of Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Seed,J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:2103–2110 (1990). CrossRef
- Saeed, M., and M. Cheryan, Sunflower Protein Concentrates and Isolates Low in Polyphenols and Phytate,J. Food Sci. 53:1127–1143 (1988). CrossRef
- Hurrell, R.F., and P.A. Finot, Effects of Food Processing on Protein Digestibility and Amino Acid Availability, inDigestibility and Amino Acid Availability in Cereals and Oilseeds, American Association of Cereal Chemists, Inc., 1985, pp. 223–244.
- Sosulski, F.W., M.A. Sabir, and S. Flemming, Continuous Diffusion of Polyphenols from Sunflower Kernels,J. Food Sci. 38:468–470 (1973). CrossRef
- Fan, T.Y., and F.W. Sosulski, New Techniques for Preparation of Improved Sunflower Protein Concentrates,Cereal Chem. 53:118–125 (1976).
- Gheyasuddin, S., C.M. Cater, and K.F. Mattil, Preparation of a Colorless Sunflower Protein Isolate,Food Technol. 24:242 (1970).
- Sodini, G., and M. Canella, Acidic Butanol Removal of Color-Forming Phenols from Sunflower Meal,J. Agric. Food Chem. 25:822–825 (1977). CrossRef
- Emmi, E., and G. Sodini, Method and Apparatus for Solid-Liquid Extraction Steps, Canadian Patent 1,119,781 (1978).
- Dibert, K., E. Cros, and J. Andrieu, Solvent Extraction of Polyphenols from Green Coffee. Part II: Kinetic Data,J. Food Eng. 10:199–214 (1989). CrossRef
- Lema, J.M., M.J. Núñez, A. Sanromán, and E. Roca, Pulsing Device to be Coupled to Fermentation Equipments, Enzymatic Reactors or Chemical Reactors, Spanish Patent 2059228 (1995).
- Sabir, M.A., F.W. Sosulski, and A.J. Finlayson, Polyphenols-Protein Interactions in Sunflower,J. Agric. Food Chem. 22:575–578 (1974). CrossRef
- Dahlquist, G., A. Björk, and N. Anderson, inNumerical Methods, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, 1974, pp. 290–293.
- King, C.O., D.L. Katz, and J.C. Brier, The Solvent Extraction of Soybean Flakes,Trans. Am. Inst. Chem. Engineers 40:533–557 (1944).
- Osburn, J.O., and D.L. Katz, Structure as a Variable in the Application of Diffusion Theory to Extraction,Trans. A.I.Ch.E. 40:511–531 (1944).
- Krasuk, J.H., J.L. Lombardi, and C.D. Ostrovsky, Diffusion Extracion of Oil-Containing Materials,I & E. C. Process Design and Development 6:187–195 (1967). CrossRef
- Aguerre, R.J., J.F. Gabitto, and J. Chirife, Utilization of Fick’s Second Law for the Evaluation of Diffusion Coefficients If Food Processes Controlled by the Internal Diffusion,J. Food Technol. 20:623–629 (1985). CrossRef
- Schwartzberg, H.G., and R.Y. Chao, Solute Diffusivities in Leaching Processes,Food Technol. 36:73–86 (1982).
- Schwartzberg, H.G., Mathematical Analysis of Solubilization. Kinetics and Diffusion in Foods,J. Food Sci. 40:211–213 (1975).
- Wiese, K.L., and H.E. Snyder, Analysis of the Oil Extraction Process in Soybeans: A New Continuous Procedure,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 64:402–406 (1987).
- Condoret, J.S., J.P. Riba, and H. Angelino, Mass Transfer in a Particle Bed with Oscillating Flow,Chem. Eng Sci. 44:2107–2111 (1989). CrossRef
- Jameson, G.J., Mass (or heat) Transfer from an Oscillating Cylinder,Chem. Eng Sci. 19:793–800 (1964). CrossRef
- Ethanol extraction of polyphenols in an immersion extractor. Effect of pulsing flow
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 73, Issue 9 , pp 1121-1125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- pulsed extractor
- Industry Sectors