Reducing the profile of sparse symmetric matrices
- Richard A. Snay
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An algorithm for improving the profile of a sparse symmetric matrix is introduced. Tests on normal equation matrices encountered in adjustments of geodetic networks by least squares demonstrate that the algorithm produces significantly lower profiles than the widely used reverse Cuthill-McKee algorithm.
- F.A. AKYUZ and S. UTKU, An automatic relabeling scheme for bandwidth minimization of stiffness matrices.Journal of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 6, 728–730. 1968.
- G.G. ALWAY and D.W. MARTIN, An algorithm for reducing the bandwidth of a matrix of symmetric configuration.The Computer Journal, 8, 264–272, 1965. CrossRef
- I. ARANY, W.F. SMYTH, and L. SZODA, An improved method for reducing the bandwidth of sparse symmetric matrices.Proceedings of International Federation for Information Proceessing, 1246–1250, 1971.
- K.Y. CHENG, Minimizing the bandwidth of sparse symmetric matrices.Computing, 11, 103–110, 1973. CrossRef
- R.J. COLLINS, Bandwidth reduction by automatic renumbering.International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 6, No. 3, 345–356, 1973. CrossRef
- E. CUTHILL and J. McKEE, Reducing the bandwidth of sparse symmetric matrices.Proceedings of Association for Computing Machinery, 24th National Conference, August 26–28, 157–172, 1969.
- E. CUTHILL, Several Stranegies for Reducing the Bandwidth of Matrices. Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Bethesda, Maryland.Technical Note CMD-42-71, 19 pp. 1971.
- A. GEORGE, Computer Implementation of the Finite Element Method. Computer Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford, California.Report No. STAN-CS-71-208, 1971.
- N.E. GIBBS, W.G. POOLE Jr. and P.K. STOCKMEYER, An algorithm for reducing the bandwidth and profile of a sparse matrix.SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis, 13, No. 2, 236–250, 1976. CrossRef
- H.R. GROOMS, Algorithm for matrix bandwidth reduction.American Society of Civil Engineers, Structural Division Journal, 98, 203–214 1972.
- A. JENNINGS, A compact storage scheme for the solution of symmetric linear simultaneous equations.The Computer Journal, 9, No. 3, 281–285, 1967.
- J.G. JEWELL, Ordering Systems of Equations.Journal of the Soc. for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 9, p. 55 ff., 1961. CrossRef
- I.P. KING, An automatic reordering scheme for simultaneous equations derived from network systems.International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2, No. 4, 523–533, 1970. CrossRef
- W. LIU and A.H. SHERMAN, Comparative analysis of the CUTHILL-MsKEE and the reverse CUTHILL-McKEE ordering algorithms for sparse matrices.SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis, 13, No. 2, 198–213, 1976. CrossRef
- R. ROSEN, Matrix bandwidth minimization.Proceedings of Association for Computing Machinery, 23 rd National Conference, August 27–29, 535–595, 1968.
- Reducing the profile of sparse symmetric matrices
Volume 50, Issue 4 , pp 341-352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Richard A. Snay (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Geodetic Survey National Ocean Survey, NOAA, Rockville, MD