Parents with severe mental illness and their children: The need for human services integration
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article presents the findings and recommendations of a statewide interagency task force on parents with mental illness who have young children. Based on testimony from consumers, providers, and advocates, the task force concluded that this is a substantial and neglected public policy issue requiring an intergovernmental, services integration approach. Recommendations were made in the areas of services, policies and procedures, and service coordination.
- Nicholson J, Geller JL, Fisher WH, et al.: State policies and programs that address the needs of mentally ill mothers in the public sector.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1993; 44:484–489.
- Test MA, Berlin SB: Issues of special concern to chronically mentally ill women.Professional Psychology 1981; 12:136–145. CrossRef
- Bachrach LL, Nadelson CC (Eds.):Treating Chronically Mentally Ill Women. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1988.
- White C, Nicholson J, Fisher WH, et al.: Describing Chronically Mentally Ill Mothers: A Comparison of Demographic, Clinical Characteristics and Service Use Patterns of DMH Case Managed Women With and Without Dependent Children. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, November 1992.
- Apfel RJ, Handel MH:Madness and Loss of Motherhood: Sexuality, Reproduction, and Long-Term Mental Illness. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1993.
- Knitzer J, Yelton S: Collaborations between child welfare and mental health,Public Welfare 1990; 48:24–33.
- Anthony WA, Cohen M, Farkas MD:Psychiatric Rehabilitation. Boston: Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 1990.
- Grunbaum L, Gammeltoft M: Young children of schizophrenic mothers: Difficulties of intervention.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 1993; 63:16–27.
- Woy RJ, Dellario DJ: Issues in the linkage and integration of treatment and rehabilitation services for chronically mentally ill persons.Administration in Mental Health 1985; 3:155–165. CrossRef
- Agranoff R, Lindsay VA: Intergovernmental management: Perspectives from human services problem solving at the local level.Public Administration Review 1983; 43:227–237. CrossRef
- Friesen BJ, Koroloff NM: Family-centered services: Implications for mental health administration and research.Journal of Mental Health Administration 1990; 17:13–25.
- Agranoff R: Human services integration: Past and present challenges in public administration.Public Administration Review 1991; 6:533–542. CrossRef
- Parents with severe mental illness and their children: The need for human services integration
The journal of mental health administration
Volume 21, Issue 4 , pp 388-396
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Community Support Programs, New York State Office of Mental Health, 44 Holland Avenue, 12229, Albany, NY
- 2. University of Massachusetts Medical School, Massachusetts, USA
- 3. Division of Family and Children Services, Department of Social, New York State