A study of provider perceptions of individuals with dual disorders
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Human service workers devote a great deal of time in preparing to serve clients. The majority of this preparation is focused in one direction, with exposure to a limited type of client. The growing population of individuals with dual disorders of mental illness and substance abuse challenges this tradition in training, in that these clients pose unique, multiple, and overlapping characteristics, symptomatology, and behaviors requiring a synthesis of training approaches. Based on survey data collected in a county in New York State, this study discusses how providers from various agencies view individuals with dual disorders and proposes coordination and training efforts that can be designed to respond to providers’ treatment concerns.
- Barbee JG, Clark PD, Crapanzano MS, et al.: Alcohol and substance abuse among schizophrenic patients presenting to an emergency psychiatric service.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1989; 177(7):400–407. CrossRef
- Deykin EY, Levy JC, Wells V: Adolescent depression, alcohol and drug abuse.American Journal of Public Health 1987; 77(2):178–182. CrossRef
- Hanson M, Kramer TH, Gross W: Outpatient treatment of adults with coexisting subtance use and mental disorders.Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 1990; 7:109–116. CrossRef
- Kosten TR, Kleber HD: Differential diagnosis of psychiatric comorbidity in substance abusers.Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 1988; 5:201–206. CrossRef
- Safer DJ: Substance abuse by young adult chronic patients.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1987; 38(5): 511–514.
- Solomon P, Davis JM: The effects of alcohol abuse among the new chronically mentally ill.Social Work in Health Care 1986; 11(3):65–75. CrossRef
- Drake RE, Osher FC, Wallach MA: Alcohol use and abuse in schizophrenia: A prospective community study.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1989; 177(7):408–414. CrossRef
- Helzer JE, Pryzbeck TR: The co-occurrence of alcoholism with other psychiatric disorders in the general population and its impact on treatment.Journal of Studies on Alcohol 1987; 49(3):219–224.
- McCarrick AK, Manderscheid RW, Bertolucci DE: Correlates of acting-out behaviors among young adult chronic patients.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1985; 36(8):848–853.
- Donahue SD, Martin RJ, Pulice RT:Adult Intensive Case Management, First Year Final Report. Albany, New York: New York State Office of Mental Health, 1990.
- Fariello D, Scheidt S: Clinical case management of the dually diagnosed patient.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1989, 40(10):1065–1067.
- Regier D, Farmer ME, Rae DS, et al.: Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse.Journal of the American Medical Association 1990; 264(19):2511–2518. CrossRef
- Solomon P, Beck S: Receipt of services subsequent to a psychiatric emergency room visit.Administration and Policy in Mental Health 1989; 16(4):247–251. CrossRef
- Way BB, McCormick LL:The Mentally III Chemical Abusing Population: A Review of the Literature. Albany: New York State Office of Mental Health, 1990.
- Bachrach LL: The context of care for the chronic mental patient with substance abuse problems.Psychiatric Quarterly 1986-87; 58(1):3–14.
- Thacker W, Tremaine L: Systems issues in serving the mentally ill substance abuser: Virginia’s experience.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1989; 40(10):1046–1049.
- Howland RH: Barriers to community treatment of patients with dual diagnoses.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1990; 41(10):1134–1135.
- Sciacca K: An integrated treatment approach for severely mentally ill individuals with substance disorders.New Directions for Mental Health Services 1991; 50:69–84.
- Ananth J, Vandewater S, Kamal M, et al.: Missed diagnosis of substance abuse in psychiatric patients.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1989; 40(3):297–299.
- El-Guebaly N: Substance abuse and mental disorders: The dual diagnosis concept.Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 1990; 35:261–267.
- Lehman AF, Myers CP, Corty E: Assessment and classification of patients with psychiatric and substance abuse syndromes.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1989; 40(10):1019–1025.
- Lyman SR, Pulice RT, McCormick LL: Assessing systems change strategies for providing services to the mentally ill chemical abusing population.Administration in Social Work. In press.
- New York State Office of Mental Health: MICA/ER Client Description and Assessment Form (OMH 110, 04/91). Albany, NY: Bureau of Survey and Evaluation Research.
- Drake RE, Wallach MA: Substance abuse among the chronically mentally ill.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1989; 40(10):1041–1046.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder. Third ed., rev. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1987.
- A study of provider perceptions of individuals with dual disorders
The journal of mental health administration
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 92-99
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links