The efficacy of a consumer case management team: 2-year outcomes of a randomized trial
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article reports the results of a randomized trial of a team of case managers who are mental health consumers compared to a team of nonconsumers. Using a repeated measures MANOVA design, consumer case managers were found to be as effective as a team of nonconsumer case managers in maintaining the stability of severely mentally disabled clients served over a 2-year period. Implications for the employment of consumers in mental health services and the vocational capacity of persons with mental illness are discussed.
- Rapp CA, Chamberlain R: Case management services for the chronically mentally ill.Social Work 1985; 30:417–422.
- Rothman J: A model of case management: toward empirically based practice.Social Work 1991; 36:520–528.
- Solomon P: The efficacy of case management services for severely mentally disabled clients.Community Mental Health Journal 1992; 28:163–180. CrossRef
- Chamberlain R, Rapp CA: A decade of case management: A methodological review of outcome research.Community Mental Health Journal 1985; 27:171–188. CrossRef
- Rubin J: Is case management effective for people with serious mental illness? A research review.Health and Social Work 1992; 17:138–150.
- Hodge M, Draine J: Development of support through case management services. In: Flexer R, Solomon P (Eds.):Psychiatric Rehabilitation in Practice. Boston: Andover Medical Publishers, 1993, pp. 155–169.
- Modrcin M, Rapp C, Poertner J: The evaluation of case management services with the chronically mentally ill.Evaluation and Program Planning 1988; 11:307–314. CrossRef
- Kaufmann CL, Ward-Colasante C, Farmer J: Development and evaluation of drop-in centers operated by mental health consumers.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1993; 44:675–678.
- Mowbray CY, Chamberlain P, Jennings M, et al.: Consumer-run mental health services: Results from five demonstration projects.Community Mental Health Journal 1988; 24:151–156. CrossRef
- Sherman PS, Porter R: Mental health consumers as case management aides.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1991; 42:494–498.
- Attkisson C, Cook J, Karno M, et al.: Clinical services research.Schizophrenia Bulletin 1992; 18:561–626.
- Nikkel RE, Smith G, Edwards DA: Consumer operated case management project.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1992; 43:577–579.
- Harding CM, Zubin J, Strauss, JS: Chronicity in schizophrenia: Fact, partial fact, or artifact?Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1987; 38:477.
- Drake RE, Sederer LI: The adverse effects of intensive treatment of chronic schizophrenia.Comprehensive Psychiatry 1986; 27:313–326. CrossRef
- Neale MS, Rosenheck RA: Therapeutic Alliance and Outcome: Case Manager-Client Relationships in Intensive Psychiatric Community Care. Poster presentation, 44th Institute on Hospital and Community Psychiatry, Toronto, October 1992.
- Wasylenski DA, Goering PN, Lemire D, et al.: The Hostel Outreach Program: Assertive Case Management for the Homeless Mentally Ill. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, New Orleans, May 1991.
- Bond GR, Miller LD, Krumweid R, et al.: Assertive case management in three CMHC's: A controlled study.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1988; 39:411–418.
- Hoult J, Reynolds I, Charbonneau-Powis M, et al.: Psychiatric hospital versus community treatment: The results of a randomized trial.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 1983; 17:160–167. CrossRef
- Test MA, Knoedler W, Allness D: The long-term treatment of young schizophrenics in a community support program. In: Stein L, Test MA (Eds.):The Training in Community Living Model: A Decade of Experience. New Directions for Mental Health Services, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1985, pp. 17–27.
- Stein L, Test MA: Alternative to mental hospital treatment. I: conceptual model treatment program and clinical evaluation.Archives of General Psychiatry 1980; 37:392–397.
- Witheridge T, Dincin J: The bridge: An assertive outreach program in an urban setting. In: Stein L, Test MA (Eds.):The Training in Community Living Model: A Decade of Experience. New Directions for Mental Health Services 26. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1985, pp. 65–76.
- Clark RE, Fox TS: A framework for evaluating the economic impact of case management.Hospital and Community Psychiatry 1993; 44:469–473.
- Lehman AG, Herron JD, Schwarz RP, et al.: Rehabilitation for adults with severe mental illness and substance use disorders: A clinical trial.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1993; 181:86–90.
- Anthony SA, Blanch A: Research on community support services: What we have learned.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal 1988; 12:55–81.
- Harcum ER: Methodological versus empirical literature; Two views on casual acceptance of the null hypothesis.American Psychologist 1990; 45:404–405. CrossRef
- Harcum ER: Guidance from the literature for accepting a null hypothesis when its truth is expected.Journal of General Psychology 1990; 117:325–344.
- Endicott J, Spitzer R, Fleiss J, et al.: The global assessment scale.Archives of General Psychiatry 1976; 33:766–771.
- Bond G: Controlled Studies of Transitional and Supported Employment. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Association of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services, St. Louis, MO, May 1990.
- McLellan A, Luborsky L, Woody G, et al.: Predicting response to alcohol and drug abuse treatments.Archives of General Psychiatry 1983; 40:620–625.
- McLellan A, Luborsky L, Woody G, et al.: An improved diagnostic evaluation instrument for substance abuse patients: The Addiction Severity Index.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1980; 168:26–33. CrossRef
- McLellan A, Luborsky L., Cacciola J, et al.: New data for the Addiction Severity Index.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1985; 173:412–423. CrossRef
- LLamas R, Pattison EM, Hurd G: Social networks: A link between psychiatric epidemiology and community mental health.International Journal of Family Therapy 1981; 3:180–192. CrossRef
- Pattison EM, Difrancisco D, Wood P, et al.: A psychosocial kinship model for family therapy.American Journal of Psychiatry 1975; 132:1246–1251.
- Pattison EM, Pattison ML: Analysis of a schizophrenic psychosocial network.Schizophrenia Bulletin 1981; 7:135–142.
- Streicker SK, Amdur M, Dincin J: Educating patients about psychiatric medications: Failure to enhance compliance.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal 1986; 9:15–28.
- Lehman A: A quality of life interview for the chronically mentally ill.Evaluation and Program Planning 1988; 11:51–62. CrossRef
- Overall J, Gorham D: The brief psychiatric rating scale.Psychological Reports 1962; 10:799–812. CrossRef
- Lukoff D, Lieberman RP, Nuechterlein KH: Symptom monitoring in the rehabilitation of schizophrenia patients.Schizophrenia Bulletin 1986; 12:578–602.
- Tabachnick BG, Fidell LS: Using Multivariate Statistics. Second edition. New York: HarperCollins, 1989.
- Wahl OF, Hunter J: Are gender effects being neglected in schizophrenia research?Schizophrenia Bulletin 1992; 18:313–318.
- Solomon P.: Response to consumers as service providers: The promise and challenge.Community Mental Health Journal. In press.
- The efficacy of a consumer case management team: 2-year outcomes of a randomized trial
The journal of mental health administration
Volume 22, Issue 2 , pp 135-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links