Analytical use of proton-induced X-ray emission
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Proton-induced X-ray emission, PIXE, is capable of simultaneous quantitative determination of 10–15 elements. An introduction to the physical properties of the method is given and detection limits are shown for a routine analysis of a thin aerosol sample. Examples of applications to both thick and thin samples are presented. Human tooth dentine is analysed for lead, with simple sample preparation, indicating lead values of a few ppm for Swedish children. Quantitative analyses of several other elements are obtained simultaneously. Cascade impactors are used for sampling aerosols in work environment during welding operations giving information of size distribution and concentrations of the elements present. The aerosol is dominated by particle sizes between 0.5 and 2 μm as measured by the impactor, but the size distributions are different for different elements and welding techniques and depend on the distance from the welding source. The relative abundance of the elements found in the aerosol indicates the presence of fractionation mechanisms.
- T. B. JOHANSSON, R. E. VAN GRIEKEN, J. W. NELSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, Anal. Chem., 47 (1975) 855. CrossRef
- S. A. E. JOHANSSON, T. B. JOHANSSON, Submitted to Nucl. Instr. Methods.
- F. FOLKMANN, C. GAARDE, T. HUUS, K. KEMP, Nucl. Instr. Methods, 116 (1974) 487. CrossRef
- P. HOROWITZ, L. GRODZINS, Science, 189 (1975) 795. CrossRef
- J. A. COOKSON, A. T. G. FERGUSON, F. D. PILLING, J. Radioanal. Chem., 12 (1972) 39.
- M. AHLBERG, R. AKSELSSON, D. BRUNE, J. LORENZEN, Nucl. Instr. Methods, 123 (1975) 385. CrossRef
- M. AHLBERG, R. AKSELSSON, B. FORKMAN, G. RAUSING, Archaeometry, 18 (1975) 39.
- C. H. STREHLOW, Doctorial dissertation, New York University, 1972.
- M. AHLBERG, R. AKSELSSON, Intern. J. Appl. Radiation Isotopes (in the press).
- M. AHLBERG, G. JOHANSSON, K. MALMQVIST, Nucl. Instr. Methods, 131 (1975) 377. CrossRef
- I. M. SHAPIRO, B. DOBKIN, O. C. TUNCAY, H. L. NEEDLEMAN, Clin. Chim. Acta, 46 (1973) 119. CrossRef
- I. RYTÖMAA, H. TUOMPO, Naturwiss., 61 (1974) 8. CrossRef
- J. L. CAMPBELL, B. H. ORR, A. W. HERMAN, L. A. MCNELLES, J. A. THOMSON, W. B. COOK, Anal. Chem., 47 (1975) 1542. CrossRef
- R. E. VAN GRIEKEN, T. B. JOHANSSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, L. A. ODOM, Z. Anal. Chem., 275 (1975) 343. CrossRef
- R. AKSELSSON, C. ORSINI, D. L. MEINERT, T. B. JOHANSSON, R. E. VAN GRIEKEN, H. C. KAUFMANN, K. R. CHAPMAN, J. W. NELSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, Adv. X-ray Anal., 18 (1975) 588.
- R. AKSELSSON, G. JOHANSSON, K. MALMQVIST, J. FRISMARK, T. B. JOHANSSON, Proc. 2nd Intern. Conf. on Nuclear Methods in Environmental Research, 1974, p. 395.
- K. MALMQVIST, G. JOHANSSON, R. AKSELSSON, T. B. JOHANSSON, Status Report, 1975, LUNP 7508.
- R. AKSELSSON, G. DESAEDLEER, T. B. JOHANSSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, Presented at the 4th Intern. Symp. on Inhaled Particles and Vapours, 1975.
- Analytical use of proton-induced X-ray emission
Journal of Radioanalytical Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 1 , pp 207-217
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Nuclear Physics, Lund Institute of Technology, Sölvegatan 14, S-223 62, Lund, (Sweden)
- 2. Department of Environmental Health, University of Lund, Sölvegatan 21, S-223 62, Lund, (Sweden)