Some strange properties of the logistic equation defined withr andK: Inherent defects or artifacts?
- Eizi Kuno
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In some situations the logistic equation in the usual expression, dN/dt=r(1−N/K)N, exhibits properties that are biologically unrealistic. For example, whenr≦0 the population can no longer show any normal, negative response in per-capita growth rate to increasing density. Also, when the equation is employed in the Volterra's competition model, a familiar but incredible conclusion is derived which says that the outcome of competition is entirely independent of the reproductive potentialr of each species. It is shown that all such strange properties are mere artifacts arising peculiarly in thisr-K model from its misleading implicit supposition thatK could be independent ofr, and they can be readily removed by alternative use of a plainer, classical form of the model, dN/dt=(r−hN)N.
- Begon, M., J. L. Harpar and C. R. Townsend (1990)Ecology: Individuals, Populations and Communities. (2nd Ed) Blackwell, Oxford.
- Fulda, J. S. (1981) The logistic equation and population decline.J. Theor. Biol. 91: 255–259. CrossRef
- Hutchinson, G. E. (1978)An Introduction to Population Ecology. Yale Univ. Press, New Heaven and London.
- Kuno, E. (1988) Aggregation pattern of individuals and the outcomes of competition within and between species: differential equation models.Res. Popul. Ecol. 30: 69–82.
- MacArthur, R. H. and E. O. Wilson (1967)The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- Pollard, E. (1981) Resource limited and equilibrium models of populations.Oecologia (Berl.)49: 377–378. CrossRef
- Valle, R. R., E. Kuno and F. Nakasuji (1989) Competition between laboratory populations of green leafhoppers,Nephotettix spp. (Homoptera: Cicadellidae).Res. Popul. Ecol. 31: 53–72.
- Vandermeer, J. H. (1975) Interspecific competition: a new approach to the classical theory. Science188: 253–255. CrossRef
- Some strange properties of the logistic equation defined withr andK: Inherent defects or artifacts?
Researches on Population Ecology
Volume 33, Issue 1 , pp 33-39
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Logistic equation
- carrying capacity
- competition theory
- Eizi Kuno (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Entomological Laboratory, College of Agriculture, Kyoto University, 606, Kyoto, Japan