Marginal attack rate,k-values and density dependence in the analysis of contemporaneous mortality factors
- J. S. ElkintonAffiliated withDepartment of Entomology, University of Massachusetts
- , J. P. BuonaccorsiAffiliated withDepartment of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Massachusetts
- , T. S. BellowsJr.Affiliated withDepartment of Entomology, University of California
- , R. G. Van DriescheAffiliated withDepartment of Entomology, University of Massachusetts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Procedures for calculating the marginal attack rates and associatedk-values from observed death rates are presented for contemporaneous predators or parasitoids that either do or do not discriminate against previously parasitized hosts.
The relationships among previous methods for quantifying contemporaneous mortalities are discussed.
Solutions to the problem of calculating marginal rates taken from human survival analysis are given under the assumption of proportional hazards. These calculations are easily extended to three or more contemporaneous sources of mortality.
The conditions under which proportional hazards can be expected are discussed.
These methods are compared to that of Varley et al., 1973 for assessment of density dependence among contemporaneous predators.
Keywordsmarginal rate apparent mortality survival analysis hazard rate life tables predation
- Marginal attack rate,k-values and density dependence in the analysis of contemporaneous mortality factors
Researches on Population Ecology
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 29-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- marginal rate
- apparent mortality
- survival analysis
- hazard rate
- life tables
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Entomology, University of Massachusetts, 01003, Amherst, MA, USA
- 2. Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Massachusetts, 01003, Amherst, MA, USA
- 3. Department of Entomology, University of California, 92521, Riverside, CA, USA