The ingestion in wolf spiders II. The expression of degree of hunger and amount of ingestion in relation to spider's hunger
- Kazuo Nakamura
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To express the degree of hunger during both of feeding and unfeeding periods of spiders, equations for the amount of ingestion and food disappearance from the gut were presented using three components: capacity of gut, rate of ingestion and rate of food disappearance. The degree of hunger was expressed by the rate of unfilled capacity of gut to the capacity of gut based on these equations.
The rates of ingestion and food disappearance were estimated from the results of experiment with a wolf spider,Pardosa laura. The equations obtained well applied to the experimental result. By changing values of these rates, it was revealed that the ratio of rates of ingestion to food disappearance determine the amount of ingestion.
- Goldstein, R. A. andJ. W. Elwood (1971) A two-compartment, three-parameter model for the absorption and retention of ingested elements by animals.Ecology 52: 935–939. CrossRef
- Holling, C. S. (1961) Principles of insect predation.Ann. Rev. Ent. 6: 163–182. CrossRef
- Holling, C. S. (1963) An experimental component analysis of population processes.Mem. Ent. Soc. Can. No. 32: 22–32.
- Holling, C. S. (1966) The functional response of invertebrate predators to prey density.Mem. Ent. Soc. Can. No. 48: 1–86.
- Ivlev, V. S. (1955)Experimental ecology of the feeding of fishes (English translation byD. Scott). Yale Univ. Press, New Haven, 302 pp.
- Nakamura, K. (1968) The ingestion in wolf spiders. I. Capacity of gut ofLycosa pseudoannulata.Res. Popul. Ecol. 10: 45–53.
- Royama, T. (1971) A comparative study of models for predation and parasitism.Res. Popul. Ecol. Suppl. No. 1: 1–91.
- Glass, N. R. (1968) The effect of time of food deprivation on the routine oxygen consumption of largemouth black bass (Micropteus salmoides).Ecology 49: 340–343. CrossRef
- Glass, N. R. (1971) Computer analysis of predation energetics in the largemouth bass. InSystems analysis and simulation in ecology. Vol. 1 (ed. byB. C. Patten), Academic Press, New York and London, pp. 325–366.
- Itô, Y. (1964) Preliminary studies on the respiratory energy loss of a spider,Lycosa psudoannulata.Res. Popul. Ecol. 6: 13–21.
- Miyashita, K. (1969) Effects of locomotory activity, temperature and hunger on the respiratory rate ofLycosa T-insignita Boes. etStr. (Araneae: Lycosidae).Appl. Ent. Zool. 4: 105–113.
- The ingestion in wolf spiders II. The expression of degree of hunger and amount of ingestion in relation to spider's hunger
Researches on Population Ecology
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 82-96
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Kazuo Nakamura (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Entomology, National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Nishigahara, Kita-ku, 114, Tokyo, Japan