Use of the regression of mean crowding on mean density for estimating sample size and the transformation of data for the analysis of variance
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An approximate method for estimating the sample size in simple random sampling and a systematic way of transformation of sample data are derived by using the parameters α and β of the regression of mean crowding on mean density in the spatial distribution per quadrat of animal populations (Iwao, 1968). If the values of α and β have been known for the species concerned, the sample size needed to attain a desired precision can be estimated by simply knowing the approximate level of mean density of the population to be sampled. Also, an appropriate variance stabilizing transformation of sample data can be obtained by the method given here without restrictions on the distribution pattern of the frequency counts.
- Beall, G. (1942) The transformation of data from entomological field experiments so that the analysis of variance becomes applicable.Biometrika,32: 243–262. CrossRef
- Cochran, W. G. (1953)Sampling techniques. New York.
- Iwao, S. (1968) A new regression method for analyzing the aggregation pattern of animal populations.Res. Popul. Ecol.,10: 1–20.
- Kuno, E., S. Yamamoto, H. Satomi, Y. Ōuti andT. Okada (1963) On the assessment of insect populations in a large area of paddy field based on the negative binomial distribution.Proc. Assoc. Pl. Prot. Kyushu,9: 33–36. (In Japanese with English summary).
- Lloyd, Monte (1967) ‘Mean crowding’.J. Anim. Ecol.,36: 1–30. CrossRef
- Morisita, M. (1964) Application ofI δ-index to sampling techniques.Res. Popul. Ecol.,6: 43–53.
- Ono, Y. (1967) Estimation of animal numbers. In‘Seitaigaku Jisshu-sho’ (Guide for experiments in ecology), pp. 87–107, Tokyo (In Japanese).
- Rojas, B. A. (1964) La binomial negativa y la estimación de intensidad de plagas en el suelo.Fitotecnia Latinamer.,1(1): 27–36 (Cited fromSouthwood, T.R.E., 1966,Ecological methods. London).
- Taylor, L. R. (1961) Aggregation, variance and the mean.Nature,189: 732–735. CrossRef
- Use of the regression of mean crowding on mean density for estimating sample size and the transformation of data for the analysis of variance
Researches on Population Ecology
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 210-214
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links