Modes and moments of unimodal distributions
- Ken-iti Sato
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For a unimodal distribution relations of its modea with its absolute momentβ p and central absolute momentγ p of orderp are considered. The best constantA p andB p are given for the inequalities |a|≦A p β p 1/p (p>0) and |a−m|≦B p γ p 1/p (p≧1) wherem is the mean. the results follow from discussion of more general moments.
- Dieudonné, J. (1968).Calcul Infinitesimal, Herman, Paris (Japanese translation: Mugenshô-kaiseki, I and II, Tokyo-tosho, Tokyo, 1973).
- Hardy, G. H., Littlewood, J. E. and Pólya, G. (1934).Inequalities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Johnson, N. L. and Rogers, C. A. (1951). The moment problem for unimodal distributions,Ann. Math. Statist.,22, 433–439.
- Sato, K. (1986). Bounds of modes and unimodal processes with independent increments,Nagoya Math. J.,104, 29–42.
- Vysochanskii, D. F. and Petunin, Yu. I. (1982). On a Gauss inequality for unimodal distributions,Theor. Probab. Appl.,27, 359–361. CrossRef
- Modes and moments of unimodal distributions
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
Volume 39, Issue 1 , pp 407-415
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Unimodal distribution
- Industry Sectors
- Ken-iti Sato (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan