Measurement of left portal vein blood-flow velocity by Doppler sonography in a patient with acute fatty liver of pregnancy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Acute fatty liver of pregnancy was diagnosed in a 32-year-old primipara in her 34th week of gestation. The pulsed Doppler sonogram showed that mean maximum portal blood-flow velocity obtained at the umbilical-point of the left portal vein (the U-point) decreased during the acute phase of the disease and returned to the normal range accompanied by improvement in her condition. Findings of portal blood dynamics obtained by pulsed Doppler sonography and those of the hyperechoic hepatic parenchyma obtained by conventional sonography could prove useful in following up patients in their third trimester of pregnancy.
- Schapiro L, Thorp JM Jr: Diagnosis of early acute fatty liver of pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 1996;5: 314–316.
- Pereira SP, O'Donohue J, Wendon J, et al: Maternal and perinatal outcome in severe pregnancy-related liver disease. Hepatology 1997;26: 1258–1262.
- Bacq-Y: Acute fatty liver of pregnancy Semin Perinatol 1998;22: 134–140.
- Campillo B, Bernuau J, Witz MO, et al: Ultrasonography in acute fatty liver of pregnancy. Ann Intern Med 1986;105: 383–384.
- Castro MA, Ouzounian JG, Colletti PM, et al: Radiologic studies in acute fatty liver of pregnancy: a review of the literature and 19 new cases. J Reprod Med 1996;41: 839–843.
- Batey RG: Acute fatty liver of pregnancy: is it genetically predetermined? Am J Gastroenterol 1996;91: 2262–2264.
- Schorr-Lesnick B, Lebovics E, Dworkin B, et al: Liver diseases unique to pregnancy. Am J Gastroenterol 1991;86: 659–670.
- Schoeman MN, Batey RG, Wilcken B: Recurrent acute fatty liver of pregnancy associated with a fatty-acid oxidation defect in the offspring. Gastroenterology 1991;100: 544–548.
- Castro MA, Goodwin TM, Shaw KJ, et al: Disseminated intravascular coagulation and antithrombin III depression in acute fatty liver of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;174: 211–216. CrossRef
- Visconti M, Manes G, Giannattasio F, et al: Recurrence of acute fatty liver of pregnancy. J Clin Gastroenterol 1995;21: 243–245.
- MacLean MA, Cameron AD, Cumming GP, et al: Recurrence of acute fatty liver of pregnancy. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1994;101: 453–454.
- Innes AM, Seargeant LE, Balachandra K, et al: Hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase I deficiency presenting as maternal illness in pregnancy. Pediatr Res 2000;47: 43–45.
- Ibdah JA, Bennett MJ, Rinaldo P, et al: A fetal fattyacid oxidation disorder as a cause of liver disease in pregnant women. N Engl J Med 1999;340: 1723–1731. CrossRef
- Clapp III JF, Stepanchack W, Tomaselli J, et al: Portal vein blood flow: effects of pregnancy, gravity, and exercise. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000;183: 167–172.
- Michielsen PP, Duysburgh IK, Pelckmans PA: Ultrasound and duplex-Doppler in the diagnosis and follow-up of portal hypertension. Acta Gastroenterol Belg 1995;58: 409–421.
- Tanabe W, Tanabe I, Okita K: The study of the theory of continuity in blood flow volume in PV, SMA, and SV measured by US pulsed Doppler method. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1990;17: 559–560.
- Van Le L, Podrasky A: Computed tomographic and ultrasonographic findings in women with acute fatty liver of pregnancy. J Reprod Med 1990;35: 815–817.
- Watanabe S: Ultrasonic Doppler flowmetry analysis of the intrahepatic vessels in patients with fulminant hepatitis. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1988;15: 185–186.
- Measurement of left portal vein blood-flow velocity by Doppler sonography in a patient with acute fatty liver of pregnancy
Journal of Medical Ultrasonics
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 57-61
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- acute fatty liver of pregnancy
- Doppler sonography
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, 1750-1 Miki-cho, 761-0701, Kita-gun, Kagawa, Japan
- 2. Department of Perinatology and Gynecology, Kagawa Medical University, 1750-1 Miki-cho, 761-0701, Kita-gun, Kagawa, Japan