Storage capacity of a dam with gamma type inputs
- A. M. Mathai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Consider mutually independent inputsX 1,...,X n onn different occasions into a dam or storage facility. The total input isY=X 1+...+X n. This sum is a basic quantity in many types of stochastic process problems. The distribution ofY and other aspects connected withY are studied by different authors when the inputs are independently and identically distributed exponential or gamma random variables. In this article explicit exact expressions for the density ofY are given whenX 1,...,X n are independent gamma distributed variables with different parameters. The exact density is written as a finite sum, in terms of zonal polynomials and in terms of confluent hypergeometric functions. Approximations whenn is large and asymptotic results are also given.
- Constantine, A. G. (1963). Some non-central distribution problems in multivariate analysis,Ann. Math. Statist.,34, 1270–1285.
- Cox, D. R. and Miller, H. D. (1978).The Theory of Stochastic Processes, Chapman and Hall, London.
- Mathai, A. M. and Saxena, R. K. (1978).The H-function with Applications in Statistics and Other Disciplines, Wiley Halsted, New York.
- Prabhu, N. U. (1965).Queues and Inventories, Wiley, New York.
- Storage capacity of a dam with gamma type inputs
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 591-597
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Random inputs
- storage capacity
- distribution of partial sums
- exact densities
- computable representation
- confluent hypergeometric function of many variables
- Industry Sectors
- A. M. Mathai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. McGill University, Montreal, Canada