Membrane action, deflections and cracking of two-way reinforced concrete slabs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper presents a brief and critical review of some major studies on two-way reinforced concrete slabs concerning the application of membrane analysis for the prediction of ultimate loads, determination of deflections and crack widths.
On procède à un examen critique de quelques études les plus importantes sur les dalles armées dans deux directions croisées en relation avec l'application de l'effet de membrane pour la prédiction des charges de rupture, et la détermination des fléchissements et de la fissuration.
- Johansen, K. W. (1962) Yield line theory. Cement and Concrete Association, London
- Wood R. H.—Plastic and elastic design of slabs and plates. Thames and Hudson, 1961.
- Kemp, K. O. (1962) A lower bound solution to the collapse of an orthogonally reinforced slab on simple supports. Magazine of Concrete Research 14: pp. 79-84
- Vijayarangan, B. (1973) Lower bound solutions for continuous orthotropic slabs. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 99: pp. 443-452
- Hillerborg A.—A plastic theory for the design of reinforced concrete slabs. Prel. Publication, 6th Congress International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering, Stockholm, 1960.
- Wood, R. H., Armer, G. S. T. (1968) Theory of the strip method for the design of slabs. Proc of the Institution of Civil Engineers (London) 41: pp. 285-311
- Ockleston, A. J. (1955) Load tests on a three storey reinforced concrete building in Johannesberg. Structural Engineer 33: pp. 304-322
- Ockleston, A. J. (1958) Arching action in reinforced concrete slabs. Structural Engineer 36: pp. 197-201
- Powell D. S.—The ultimate strength of concrete panels subjected to uniformly distributed loads. Cambridge University Thesis, 1956.
- Thomas P. G.—Studies in reinforced concrete, Part VIII,The strength and deformation of some reinforced concrete slabs, subjected to concentrated loading. D.S.I.R. Building Research Station, Tech. Paper No. 25, H.M.S.O., 1939.
- Christiansen, K. P. (1963) The effect of membranesstresses on the ultimate strength of the interior panel in a reinforced concrete slab. Structural Engineer 41: pp. 261-265
- Roberts, E. H. (1969) Load carrying capacity of slab strips restrained against longitudinal expansion. Concrete 3: pp. 369-378
- Park, R. (1964) Ultimate strength of rectangular concrete slabs under short term uniform loading with edges restrained against lateral movement. Proc. Institution of Civil Engineers (London) 28: pp. 125-150
- Park, R. (1964) The ultimate strength and long term behaviour of uniformly loaded two-way concrete slabs with partial lateral restraint at all edges. Magazine of Concrete Research 16: pp. 139-152
- Park, R. (1965) The lateral stiffness and strength required to ensure membrane action at the ultimate load of a reinforced concrete slab and beam floor. Magazine of Concrete Research 17: pp. 29-38
- Morley, C. T. (1967) Yield line theory for reinforced concrete slabs at moderately large deflections. Magazine of Concrete Research 19: pp. 211-221
- Jacobson, A. (1967) Membrane flexural modes of restrained slabs. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 93: pp. 85-112
- Brotchi J. F., Holley M. J.—Membrane action in slabs, Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems, ACI, SP. 30, Detroit, 1971, pp. 345–377.
- Sawzuck A.—Membrane action in flexure of rectangular plates with restrained edges. Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, ACI/ASCE, SP. 12, Detroit, 1965, pp. 347–358.
- Hung T. Y., Nawy E. G.—Limit strength and serviceability factors in uniformly loaded isotropically reinforced two-way slabs. Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems ACI, SP. 30, Detroit, 1971, pp. 301–311.
- Massonet CH.—General theory of elastic-plastic membrane plates. Paper presented to a Conference concerning Engineering Plasticity, University of Cambridge, March, 1968.
- Moy, S. S. J., Mayfield, B. (1972) Load deflection characteristics of reinforced concrete slabs. Magazine of Concrete Research 24: pp. 209-218
- Hopkins, D. C. (1969) Effects of membrane action on the ultimate strength of reinforced concrete slabs. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Hopkins D. C., Park R.—Test on a reinforced concrete slab and beam floor designed with allowance for membrane action. Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems, ACI, SP 30, Detroit, 1971, pp. 223–250.
- Park R.—Further tests on a reinforced concrete floor designed by limit procedures, Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems, ACI, SP. 30, Detroit, 1971, pp. 251–269.
- Datta, T. K. (1973) Some studies on the ultimate load analysis of slab-beam floor system. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Ramesh, C. K., Datta, T. K. (1973) Ultimate strength of reinforced concrete slab-beam systems. The Indian Concrete Journal 47: pp. 301-308
- Datta, T. K., Ramesh, C. K. (1975) Some experimental studies on a reinforced concrete slab-beam system. Magazine of Concrete Research 27: pp. 111-120
- Vanderbilt, M. D., Sozen, M. A., Siess, C. P. (1965) Deflections of multiple panel reinforced concrete floor slabs. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 90: pp. 77-101
- Gamble, W. L., Sozen, M. A., Siess, C. P. (1969) Tests of a two-way reinforced concrete floor slab. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 95: pp. 1073-1096
- Park, R. (1964) Tensile membrane behaviour of uniformly loaded rectangular reinforced concrete slabs with fully restrained edges. Magazine of Concrete Research 16: pp. 39-44
- Sawzuck, A., Winnick, L. (1965) Plastic behaviour of simply supported plates at moderately large deflections. International Journal of Solids and Structures 1: pp. 97-111 CrossRef
- Kemp, K. O. (1967) Yield of a square reinforced concrete slab on simple supports allowing for membrane action. Structural Engineer 45: pp. 235-240
- Hayes, B. (1968) Allowing for membrane action in the plastic analysis of rectangular reinforced concrete slabs. Magazine of Concrete Research 20: pp. 205-211
- Taylor, R. (1965) A note on a possible basis for a new method of ultimate load design of reinforced concrete slabs. Magazine of Concrete Research 17: pp. 183-186
- British Standards Institution.—Code of practice for the structural use of concrete. Part 1, Design, Materials and Workmanship, CP 110, 1972.
- Timoshenko, S. P., Krieger, W. (1959) Theory of plates and shells. McGraw Hill, Kogakusha
- Branson, D. E. (1968) Design procedures for computing deflections. Journal of ACI 65: pp. 730-742
- ACI Standard.—Building code requirements for reinforced concrete, ACI 318, 1971.
- ACI, Committee 435.—Deflections of two-way reinforced concrete floor systems. state of art Deflections of Concrete Structures, ACI, SP. 43 Detroit, 1974, pp. 55–82.
- Vanderbilt M. D., Sozen M. A., Siess C. P.—Deflections of reinforced concrete floor slabs. Structural Research Series No. 263, Dept. of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, April 1963.
- Wanchoo, M. K., May, G. W. (1975) Cracking analysis of reinforced concrete plates. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 101: pp. 201-215
- Comité européen du béton. Fédération internationale de la Précontrainte.—International recommendations for the design and construction of concrete structures, CEB-FIP, June 1970.
- Nawy E. G.—Crack width control in welded wire fabric reinforced centrally loaded two-way slabs. Causes, Mechanism and Control of Cracking in Concrete, ACI, SP. 20, Detroit, 1968, pp. 211–235.
- Nawy, E. G. (1968) Crack control in reinforced concrete structures. Journal of ACI, Proc. 65: pp. 825-836
- Nawy, E. G., Orenstein, G. S. (1970) Crack width control in reinforced concrete two-way slabs. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE 93: pp. 701-821
- Nawy E. G., Blair K.—Further studies on flexural crack-control in structural slab systems. Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems, ACI, SP. 30, 1971, pp. 1–41.
- Recommendations for an international code of practice for reinforced concrete. Comité européen du béton, Paris
- Wood, R. H. (1965) Discussion on the PaperUltimate strength of rectangular concrete slabs under short term uniform loading with edges restrained against lateral movement. Proc. Institution of Civil Engineers (London) 32: pp. 97-102
- Hognestad, E., Hanson, N. W., McHenry, D. (1955) Concrete stress distribution in ultimate strength design. Proc. ACI 52: pp. 455-479
- Taylor, R., Maher, D. R. H., Hayes, B. (1966) Effect of the arrangement of reinforcement on the behaviour of concrete slabs. Magazine of Concrete Research 18: pp. 85-94
- Desayi, P. (1975) A method for determining the spacing and width of cracks in partially prestressed concrete beams. Proc. Institution of Civil Engineers (London), Part 2 59: pp. 411-428
- Hawkins N. M., Fallsen H. B., Hinojosa R. C.—Influence of column rectangularity on the behaviour of flat plate structures. Cracking, Deflection and Ultimate Load of Concrete Slab Systems, ACI, SP. 30, Detroit, 1971, pp. 127–146.
- Desayi, P., Kulkarni, A. B. (1976) Determination of maximum crack width in two-way reinforced concrete slabs. Proceedings, Inst. of Civil Engineers (London), Part 2, Research and Theory 61: pp. 343-349
- Membrane action, deflections and cracking of two-way reinforced concrete slabs
Matériaux et Construction
Volume 10, Issue 5 , pp 303-312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors