Contribution to the theory of random and biased nets
- Anatol Rapoport
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The probabilistic theory of random and biased nets is further developed by the “tracing” method treated previously. A number of biases expected to be operating in nets, particularly in sociograms, is described. Distribution of closed chain lengths is derived for random nets and for nets with a simple “reflexive” bias. The “island model” bias is treated for the case of two islands and a single axon tracing, resulting in a pair of linear difference equations with two indices. The reflexive bias is extended to multiple-axon tracing by an approximate method resulting in a modification of the random net recursion formula. Results previously obtained are compared with empirical findings and attempts are made to account for observed discrepancies.
- Allanson, J. T. 1956. “Some Properties of a Randomly Connected Neural Network.”Information Theory. New York: Academic Press; London: Butterworth Scientific Publications.
- Cartwright D. and F. Harary. 1956. “Structural Balance: A Generalization of Heider’s Theory.”Psychol. Rev.,63, 277–93. CrossRef
- Foster, C. and A. Rapoport. 1957. “The Case of the Forgetful Burglar.”The Mathematical Monthly (in press).
- Harary, F. and R. Z. Norman. 1953.Graph Theory as a Mathematical Model in Social Science. Ann Arbor: Institute for Social Research.
- Katz, L. and J. H. Powell. 1954. “The Number of Locally Restricted Directed Graphs.”Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.,5, 621–26. CrossRef
- Landahl, H. D. 1947. “Outline of a Matrix Calculus for Neural Nets.”Bull. Math. Biophysics,9, 99–108. CrossRef
- — and R. Runge. 1946. “Outline of a Matrix Algebra for Neural Nets.”Ibid.,8, 75–81. CrossRef
- Landau, H. G. 1952. “On Some Problems of Random Nets.”Ibid.,14, 203–12. CrossRef
- Luce, R. D. 1950. “Connectivity and Generalized Cliques in Sociometric Group Structure.”Psychometrika,15, 169–90. CrossRef
- — and A. D. Perry. 1949. “A Method of Matrix Analysis of Group Structure.”Psychometrika,14, 95–116. CrossRef
- Polya, G. 1936. “Sur le nombre des isoméres de certains composés chimiques.”Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. Paris,202, 1554–6.
- Rapoport, A. 1948. “Cycle Distribution in Random Nets,”Bull. Math. Biophysics,10, 145–57. CrossRef
- —. 1951a. “Nets with Distance Bias,”Ibid.,13, 85–91. CrossRef
- — 1951b. “The Probability Distribution of Distinct Hits on Closely Packed Targets,”Ibid.,13, 133–37. CrossRef
- — 1953a. “Spread of Information Through a Population with Socio-Structural Bias: I. Assumption of Transitivity,”Ibid.,15, 523–33. CrossRef
- — 1953b. “Spread of Information Through a Population with Socio-structural Bias: II. Various Models with Partial Transitivity,”Ibid.,15, 535–43. CrossRef
- Rashevsky, N. 1954. “Topology and Life: In Search of General Mathematical Principles in Biology and Sociology,”Bull. Math. Biophysics,16, 317–48.
- — 1955a. “Some Theorems in Topology and a Possible Biological Application,”Ibid.,17, 111–29. CrossRef
- — 1955b. “Some Remarks on Topological Biology,”Ibid.,17, 207–18. CrossRef
- — 1956. “The Geometrization of Biology,”Ibid.,18, 31–56. CrossRef
- Shimbel, A. 1948. “An Analysis of Theoretical Systems of Differentiating Nervous Tissues,”Bull. Math. Biophysics,10, 131–43. CrossRef
- Solomonoff, R. and A. Rapoport. 1951. “Connectivity of Random Nets,”Bull. Math. Biophysics,13, 107–17. CrossRef
- Trucco, E. 1956. “On The Information Content of Graphs: Compound Symbols; Different States for Each Point,”Bull. Math. Biophysics,18, 237–53.
- Wright, S. 1932. “The Roles of Mutation, Inbreeding, Crossbreeding, and Selection in Evolution,”Proc. Sixth Int. Congress Genetics,1, 356–66.
- Contribution to the theory of random and biased nets
The bulletin of mathematical biophysics
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 257-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Anatol Rapoport (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, USA