The significance of immunochemically staining calcitonin and CEA in fine-needle aspiration biopsy materials from medullary carcinoma of the thyroid
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A review of ten surgical cases of medullary carcinoma of the thyroid (MCT) demonstrates the usefulness of establishing a preoperative cytological diagnosis through the immunochemical staining of calcitonin (CT) and CEA in fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy smears. If MCT is suspected after routinely performing May-Grünwald-Giemsa stained cytology of an FNA biopsy in the outpatient clinic, then CT and CEA staining is recommended for confirmation of MCT. The advantages of this immunochemical staining include that it can be carried out in the outpatient clinic within one day and also that it is much less costly than measuring serum CT and CEA.
- Löwhagen T, Granberg PO, Lundell G, Skinnari P, Sundblad R, Willems JS. Aspiration biopsy cytology (ABC) in nodules of the thyroid gland suspected to be malignant. Surg Clin North Am 1979; 59: 3–18.
- Colacchio TA, Logerfo P, Feind CR. Fine needle cytology diagnosis of thyroid nodules. Am J Surg 1980; 140: 568–571. CrossRef
- Varhang JE, Segadal E, Heiman P. The utility of fine needle aspiration biopsy cytology in the management of thyroid tumors. World J Surg 1981; 5: 573–577. CrossRef
- Matsuyama T, Takeichi N, Okamoto H, Mori M, Haruta R, Dohi K. Differential diagnosis of nodular goiter by means of aspiration biopsy cytology —Results in recent five years—Hiroshima J Med Sci (HJMS) 1987; 36: 271–276.
- DeLellis RA, Rule AH, Spiler I, Nathanson L, Tashijan AH Jr, Wolfe HJ. Calcitonin and carcino-embryonic antigen as tumor markers in medullary thyroid carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol 1978; 70: 587–594.
- Talerman A, Linderman J, Kievit-Tyson PA, Dröge-Droppert C. Demonstration of calcitonin and CEA in medullary carcinoma of the thyroid by immunoperoxidase technique. Histopathology 1979; 3: 503–510.
- Vadji M. The potential value of immunoperoxidase technique in diagnostic cytology. Acta Cytologica 1980; 24: 442–447.
- Sikri KL, Varndell IM, Hamid QA, Wilson BS, Kameya T, Ponder BAJ, Lloyd RV Bloom SR, Polak JM. Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid. An immunocytochemical and histochemical study of 25 cases using 8 separate markers. Cancer 1985; 56: 2481–2491. CrossRef
- Tahara E, Ito H, Nakagami K, Shimamoto F, Yamamoto M, Sumii K. Scirrhous argyrophil cell carcinoma of the stomach with multiple production of polypeptide hormones, amine, CEA, lysozyme and HCG. Cancer 1982; 49: 1904–1915. CrossRef
- Ito H, Hata J, Shimamoto F, Tahara E. Immunochemical localization of calcitonin in human gastric mucosa and tumor tissue. J Clin Exp Med (Igaku no Ayumi) 1984; 131: 315–317. (in Japanese)
- Geddie WH, Bedard YC, Strawbridge HTG. Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid in fine-needle aspiration biopsies. Am J Clin Pathol 1984; 82: 552–558.
- The significance of immunochemically staining calcitonin and CEA in fine-needle aspiration biopsy materials from medullary carcinoma of the thyroid
The Japanese journal of surgery
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 674-678
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- thyroid medullary carcinoma
- fine-needle aspiration biopsy
- immunochemical staining
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Department of Surgery, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, 1-2-3 Kasumi, Minami-ku, 734, Hiroshima, Japan
- 2. The Department of Pathology, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, Hiroshima, Japan