Single stranded DNA binding antibodies in patients with obstructive jaundice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An elevation of single stranded (ss) DNA binding antibodies was present in patients with biliary tract stones and/or tumor of the biliary tract or of the pancreas. The incidence of the appearance of ssDNA binding antibodies was 22 percent in cases of non-obstructive jaundice and 50 percent in those with obstructive jaundice. The incidence was particularly high (70 percent) in patients with obstructive jaundice of over 50 days duration. No significant correlation was seen between the levels of ssDNA binding antibodies and the serum total bilirubin. However, a significant correlation was observed between the levels of ssDNA binding antibodies and the serum IgM.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Mackay IR. Primary biliary cirrhosis showing a high titer of autoantibody. N Engl J Med 1958; 258: 185–189. CrossRef
- Johnson GD, Holborow FJ, Glynn LE. Antibody to smooth muscle in patients with liver disease. Lancet 1965; II: 878–879. CrossRef
- Fayemeek, Khoury EL, Deborahdoniach, Baum H. Mitochondrial antibodies in chronic liver diseases and connective tissue disorders: further characterization of the autoantigens. Clin Exp Immunol 1980; 41: 43–54.
- Doniach D, Roitt IM, Walker JG, Sherlock S. Tissue antibodies in primary biliary cirrhosis, active chronic (Lupoid) hepatitis, cryptogenic cirrhosis and other liver diseases and their clinical implications. Clin Exp Immunol 1966; 1: 237–262.
- Davis P, Read AE. Antibodies to double-stranded (native) DNA in active chronic hepatitis. Gut 1975: 16: 413–415.
- Jain S, Markham R, Thomas CH, Sherlock S. Double-stranded DNA-binding capacity of serum in acute and chronic liver disease. Clin Exp Immunol 1976; 26: 35–41.
- Koffler D, Schur PH, Kunkel HG. Immunological studies concerning the nephritis of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Exp Med 1976: 126: 607–623. CrossRef
- Kavai M, Banyai A, Zsindely A, Sonkoly I, Szegedi G. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for antibodies to native DNA in sera of patients with SLE. J Immun Meth 1982; 48: 169–175. CrossRef
- Furukawa F, Kohno A, Hamashima Y. Serological abnormalities in Japanese patients with borderline leprosy. Int J Lepr 1984; 52: 96–98.
- Fournie GH, Lambert PH, Miescher PA. Release of DNA incirculating blood and induction of anti-DNA antibodies after injection of bacterial lipopolysaccharides. J Exp Med 1974; 140: 1189–1206. CrossRef
- Izui S, Lambert PH, Fournie GJ, Turler H, Miescher PA. Features of systemic lupus erythematosus in mice injected with bacterial lipopolysaccharides. J Exp Med 1977; 145: 1115–1130. CrossRef
- Izui S, Zaldivar NM, Scher I, Lambert PH. Mechanism for induction of anti-DNA antibodies by bacterial lipopolysaccharides in mice. J Immunol 1977; 119: 2151–2156.
- Izui S, Kobayakawa T, Zryd MJ, Louis J, Lambert PH. Mechanism for induction of anti-DNA antibodies by bacterial lipopolysaccharides in mice. J Immunol 1977; 119: 2157–2162.
- Izui S, McConahey PJ, Dixon FJ. Increased spontaneous polyclonal activation of B lymphocytes in mice with spontaneous autoimmune disease. J Immunol 1978; 121: 2213–2219.
- Hirose S, Maruyama N, Ohta K, Shirai T. Polyclonal B cell activation and autoimmunity in New Zealand Mice. J Immunol 1980; 125: 610–615.
- Kocsár LT, Bertók L, Várterész V. Effect of bile acids on the intestinal absorption of endotoxin in rats. J Bacteriol 1969; 100: 220–223.
- Bailey ME. Endotoxin, bile salts and renal function in obstructive jaundice. Br J Surg 1976; 63: 774–778.
- Wardle EN, Wright NA. Endotoxin and acute renal failure associated with obstructive jaundice. Br Med J 1970; 4: 472–474. CrossRef
- Coelho IL, Jackson GDF, Vaerman JP. Rat bile as a convenient source of secretory IgA and free secretory component. Eur J Immunol 1977; 8: 588–590.
- Bismuth H, Kuntziger H, Corlette MB. Cholangitis with acute renal failure. Ann Surg 1975; 181: 881–887.
About this Article
- Single stranded DNA binding antibodies in patients with obstructive jaundice
The Japanese journal of surgery
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 118-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- obstructive jaundice
- single stranded DNA binding antibody
- immunoglobulin M (IgM)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University Kyoto, Yoshida Konoe-cho Sakyo-ku, 606, Kyoto, Japan
- 2. Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University Kyoto, Yoshida Konoe-cho Sakyo-ku, 606, Kyoto, Japan