Development and validation of stability indicating high-performance liquid chromatographic assays for ketotifen in aqueous and silicon oil formulations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A simple and specific high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method for the analysis of ketotifen in aqueous solutions and silicon oil suspensions is described. The HPLC system is based on a reversed phase μBondapak C18 (30×0.39 cm) column with a mobile phase of phosphate buffer (0.001 M, pH 7.4):methanol: acetonitrile: trimethylamine (29.8:45:25:0.2, by volume) at a flow-rate of 1 mL min−1. The eluent was monitored by UV absorption at 299 nm. Silicon oil-based samples were extracted with HCl (0.05 M) using imipramine as internal standard. The recovery of ketotifen and imipramine was greater than 80%. The calibration curves for both assays were linear over the ranges examined, yielding correlation coefficients greater than 0.997. The assay was shown to be stability indicating by subjecting solutions of ketotifen in phosphate buffer to heat, oxidative stress and irradiation with ultraviolet light (254 and 369 nm)for up to 8 h. The methodology was also shown to be applicable for the analysis of ketotifen in simple aqueous based formulations, in suspension in silicon oil and for the analysis of samples derived fromin vitro skin transfer experiments.
- Sandoz Ltd. Ger. Pat., 2, 302, 994 (1972).
- S. M. Grant, K. L. Gao, A. Fitton, E. M. Sorkin, Drugs40, 412 (1990).
- C. Greenwood, Chest82 (Suppl. 1), 45S (1982).
- M. Eiser, Pharmac. Ther.17, 245 (1982).
- A. Grahnén, A. Lönnebo, O. Beck, S.-A. Eckernäs, B. Dahlström, B. Lindström, Biopharm. Drug Dispos.13, 255 (1992).
- T. Fujii, Y. Arai, A. Kubota, K. Togawa, N. Mizushima, I. Mikuni, Hospital Pharmacy (Byoin Yakugaku, Japanese)10, 171 (1984).
- H. Niizeki, N. Inamoto, K. Nakamura, J. Nakanoma, T. Nakano, Contact Dermatitis31, 266 (1994). CrossRef
- Y. Lee, C. Chiang, J. Chen, Drug Develop. Ind. Pharm.20 2965 (1994).
- T. G. Franz, J. Invest. Dermatol.64, 190 (1975). CrossRef
- R. L. Bronaugh, R. F. Steward, J. Pharm. Sci.74, 64 (1985).
- Development and validation of stability indicating high-performance liquid chromatographic assays for ketotifen in aqueous and silicon oil formulations
Volume 48, Issue 11-12 , pp 797-802
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Vieweg Verlag
- Additional Links
- Column liquid chromatography
- Ketotifen analysis
- Stability indicating analysis
- Aqueous and oil-based formulations
- Industry Sectors