Determination of aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in cigarette smoke by gas chromatography with flame photometric detection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A selective and sensitive method for the simultaneous determination of aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in cigarette smoke by gas chromatography (GC) has been developed. After trapping of cigarette smoke into dilute hydrochloric acid containing ascorbic acid, aldehydes were converted into their thiazolidine derivatives by the reaction with cysteamine, and then measured by GC with flame photometric detection using two-connected fused-silica capillary columns containing DB-17 and DB-210, respectively. The derivatives were sufficiently volatile and gave single symmetrical peaks. The calibration curves for aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in the range 20–2000 ng were linear and the detection limits at a signal-to-noise ratio of 3 were ca. 4–100 pg injected. Aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in cigarette smoke could be selectively determined by this method without any interference from coexisting substances. Overall eecoveries of aldehydes added to cigarette smoke samples were 83–110%. Analytical results for the contents of aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in mainstream and sidestream smokes of several cigarettes are presented.
- J. B. Lakier, Am. J. Med.93, (suppl.) 8s (1992).
- D. Hoffmann, E. L. Wynder, Cancer27, 848 (1971). CrossRef
- K. D. Brunneman, B. Prokopczyk, D. Hoffmann, Banbury Report23, 197 (1986).
- M. R. Guerin, IARC Sci. Publ.81, 11 (1987).
- V. Norman, in “Recent Advances in Tobacco Smoke 3”, 31st Tobacco Chemist's Research Conference, Greensboro, North Carolina, 1977, p. 28.
- “The Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk to Humans: Tobacco Smoking”, IARC Monographs vol. 38, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, 1986.
- D. L. Roberts, Recent Adv. Tobacco Sci.14 49 (1988).
- H. D. Hoberman, R. C. S. George, J. Biochem. Toxicol.3, 105 (1988).
- E. J. Bardama, A. Montanaro, Ann. Allergy16, 441 (1991).
- D. L. Manning, M. P. Maskarinec, R. A. Jenkins, A. H. Marshall, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem.66, 8 (1983).
- P. R. Houlgate, K. S. Dhingra, S. J. Nash, W. H. Evans, Analyst114, 355 (1989). CrossRef
- C. H. Risner, P. Martin, J. Chromatogr. Sci.32, 76 (1994).
- D. E. Magin, J. Chromatogr.202, 255 (1980). CrossRef
- T. Miyake, T. Shibamoto, J. Chromatogr. A693, 376 (1995). CrossRef
- H. J. Esterbauer, Am. J. Clin. Nutr.57, (suppl.) 779s (1993).
- A. Churg, K. Cherukupalli, Int. J. Exp. Path.74, 127 (1993).
- A. Z. Reznick, C. E. Cross, M. L. Hu, Y. J. Suzuki, S. Khwaja, A. Safadi, P. A. Motchnik, L. Packer, B. Halliwell, Biochem. J.286, 607 (1992).
- C. A. O'neill, B. Halliwell, A. Van Der Viliet, P. A. Davis, L. Packer, H. Tritschler, W. J. Strohman, T. Rieland, C. E. Cross, A. Z. Reznick, J. Lab. Clin. Med.124, 359 (1994).
- C. Chen, G. Loo, J. Biochem. Toxicol.10, 121 (1995).
- T. F. Slater, Biochem. J.222, 1 (1984).
- J. M. C. Gutteridge, B. Halliwell, Trend. Biochem. Sci.15, 129 (1990). CrossRef
- J. Emerit, J. M. Klein, A. Coutellier, F. Congy, Pathol. Biol.39, 316 (1991).
- M. Aviram, Atheroslcerosis98, 1 (1993). CrossRef
- B. Halliwell, Haemostasis1, 118 (1993).
- B. N. Ames, M. K. Shigenaga, T. M. Hagen, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA90, 7915 (1993). CrossRef
- H. Kataoka, A. Sumida, N. Nishihata, M. Makita, J. Chromatogr. A709, 303 (1995). CrossRef
- G. pieraccini, F. Luceri, G. Moneti, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom.6, 406 (1992). CrossRef
- Determination of aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes in cigarette smoke by gas chromatography with flame photometric detection
Volume 44, Issue 9-10 , pp 491-496
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Vieweg Verlag
- Additional Links
- Gas chromatography
- Aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes
- Thiazolidine derivatives
- Flame photometric detection
- Cigarette smoke
- Industry Sectors