An effective boundary element method for analysis of crack problems in a plane elastic plate
- Yan Xiang-qiao
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A simple and effective boundary element method for stress intensity factor calculation for crack problems in a plane elastic plate is presented. The boundary element method consists of the constant displacement discontinuity element presented by Crouch and Starfield and the crack-tip displacement discontinuity elements proposed by YAN Xiangqiao. In the boundary element implementation the left or the right crack-tip displacement discontinuity element was placed locally at the corresponding left or right each crack tip on top of the constant displacement discontinuity elements that cover the entire crack surface and the other boundaries. Test examples (i. e., a center crack in an infinite plate under tension, a circular hole and a crack in an infinite plate under tension) are included to illustrate that the numerical approach is very simple and accurate for stress intensity factor calculation of plane elasticity crack problems. In addition, specifically, the stress intensity factors of branching cracks emanating from a square hole in a rectangular plate under biaxial loads were analysed. These numerical results indicate the present numerical approach is very effective for calculating stress intensity factors of complex cracks in a 2-D finite body, and are used to reveal the effect of the biaxial loads and the cracked body geometry on stress intensity factors.
- Cruse T A. Numerical evaluation of elastic stress intensity factors by boundary integral equation method[A]. In: Swedlow J L (ed).Surface Cracks Physics Problems and Computational Solutions[C]. ASME, New York, 1972, 153–170.
- Cruse T A. Two dimensional BIE fracture mechanics analysis[J].Appl Math Modeling, 1978,2 (3): 287–293. CrossRef
- Blandford G E, Ingraffea A R, Liggett J A. Two-dimensional stress intensity factor computations using the boundary element method[J].Internat J Numer Methods Engrg, 1981,17 (4): 387–404. CrossRef
- Crouch S L, Starfield A M.Boundary Element Method in Solid Mechanics[M]. Geore Allon & Unwin, London, 1983, 79–109.
- Pan E. A general boundary element analysis of 2-D linear elastic fracture mechanics[J].Internat J Fracture, 1997,28 (1): 41–59. CrossRef
- Portela A, Aliabadi M H, Rook D P. The dual boundary element method: effective implementation for crack problems[J].Internat J Numer Methods Engrg, 1992,33 (12): 1269–1287. CrossRef
- Mi Y, Aliabadi M H. Dual-boundary element method for three dimensional fracture mechanics analysis[J].Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 1992,10 (2): 161–171. CrossRef
- Tanaka M, Itoh H. New crack elements for boundary element analysis of elastostatics considering arbitrary stress singularities[J].Appl Math Modelling, 1987,11 (4): 357–363. CrossRef
- Cruse T A.Boundary Element Analysis in Computational Fracture Mechanics[M]. Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1989, 1–120.
- Aliabadi M H, Rooke D P.Numerical Fracture Mechanics[M]. Computational Mechanics Publications, Kluwer, Dordrecht, Southampton, 1991, 1–150.
- Aliabadi M H. Boundary element formulation in fracture mechanics[J].Applied Mechanics Review, 1997,50 (1): 83–96. CrossRef
- Yan Xiangqiao. A special crack-tip displacement discontinuity element[J].Mechanics Research Communications, 2004,31 (6): 651–659. CrossRef
- Kitagawa H, Yuuki R. Analysis of the non-linear shaped cracks in a finite plate by the conformal mapping method[J].Trans Japan Soc Mech Engrs, 1977,43 (376): 4354–4362.
- Murakami Y. A method of stress intensity factor calculation for the crack emanating from an arbitrarily shaped hole or the crack in the vicinity of an arbitrarily shaped hole[J].Trans Japan Soc Mech Engrs, 1978,44 (378): 423–432.
- Murakami Y.Stress Intensity Factors Handbook[M]. Pergamon Press, New York, 1987, 266–267.
- Erdogan F, Gupta G D, Ratwani M. Interaction between a circular inclusion and an arbitrarily oriented crack[J].ASME J Appl Mech, 1974,41 (6): 1007–1013.
- An effective boundary element method for analysis of crack problems in a plane elastic plate
Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 814-822
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- stress intensity factor
- boundary element method
- displacement discontinuity
- crack-tip element
- Industry Sectors
- Yan Xiang-qiao (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Laboratory on Composite Materials, Harbin Institute of Technology, 150001, Harbin, P. R. China