Relationship between eddy viscosity of seawater and eddy diffusivity of suspended particles
- B. J. Lees
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method is described to calculate the relationship (β) between the eddy diffusivity of suspended particles and the eddy viscosity of the fluid. The data were obtained while making suspended sediment concentration measurements near the seabed on the British continental shelf. β was calculated for 0.50 size fractions and varies inversely with the suspended sediment concentration. The values were used successfully to calculate suspended sediment transport rates for separate sand fractions through a spring tidal cycle. Finally, specific values of β are suggested for varying concentrations of sand at a reference height of 100 cm above the seabed.
- Swart, D. H., 1976. Computation of longshore transport. Delft Hydraulics Laboratory Report No. R968, 61 p.
- Carstens, M. R., 1952. Accelerated motion of a spherical particle. Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, v. 33, p. 713–721.
- Graf, W. H., 1971. Hydraulics of Sediment Transport. McGraw-Hill, New York, 513 p.
- Shepard, F. P., 1967. Submarine Geology. Harper, New York, 2nd ed., 557 p.
- von Kármán, T., 1948. Progress in the statistical theory of turbulence. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, v. 34, p. 539–565.
- Prandtl, L., 1925–26. Über die Ausgebildete Türbülenz. Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress of Applied Mechanics, Zurich, v. 5, p. 136–160.
- Lees, B. J., 1980. Sizewell-Dunwich Banks Field Study. Topic Report: I. Introduction and geological background. Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Report No. 88, 41 p.
- Heathershaw, A. D., and Hammond, F. D. C., 1979. Swansea Bay (Sker) Project. Topic Report: 6. Offshore sediment movement and its relation to observed tidal current and wave data. Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Report No. 93, 119 p.
- Taylor, P. A., and Dyer, K. R., 1977. Theoretical models of flow near the bed and their implications for sediment transport. In: E. D. Goldberg and others (eds.), The Sea, v. 6, Wiley Interscience, New York, p. 579–601.
- Lees, B. J., and Heathershaw, A. D., 1981. Sizewell-Dunwich Banks Field Study. Topic Report: 5. Offshore sediment movement and its relation to observed tidal current and wave data. Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Report No. 123, 113 p.
- Stanford, P. N., 1977. Data processing: Annual Progress Report for Sedimentary Processes in the Southwest Approaches. Department of Geology, University of Bristol, 40 p.
- Vanoni, V. A., 1963. Sediment transportation mechanics: suspension of sediment (Progress Report of Task Committee). Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, v. 89, No. HY5, p. 45–76.
- Adams, C. E. Jr., and Weatherly, G. L., 1981. Some effects of suspended sediment stratification on an oceanic bottom boundary layer. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 86, p. 4161–4172.
- Coleman, N. L., 1981. Velocity profiles with suspended sediment. Journal of Hydraulic Research, v. 19, p. 211–229. CrossRef
- Brush, L. M., Ho, H. W., and Singamsetti, S. R., 1962. A study of sediment in suspension. International Association of Scientific Hydrology, Commission for Land Erosion (Bari), Publication No. 59.
- Matyukhin, V. J., and Prokofyev, O. N., 1966. Experimental determination of the coefficient of vertical turbulent diffusion in water for settling particles. Soviet Hydrology. American Geophysical Union, v. 3.
- Majumdar, H., and Carstens, M. R., 1967. Diffusion of particles by turbulence: Effect of particle size. Water Research Center, WRC-0967. Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.
- Simons, D. B., and Senturk, F., 1977. Sediment transport technology, Water Resources Publications. Fort Collins, Colorado, 600 p.
- Coleman, N. L., 1970. Flume studies of the sediment transfer coefficient, Water Resources Research, v. 6, no. 3.
- Raudkivi, A. J., 1976. Loose Boundary Hydraulics. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 2nd. ed., 397 p.
- McCave, I. N., 1973. Some boundary-layer characteristics of tidal currents bearing sand in suspension. Mémoires Société Royale des Sciences de Liège, v. 6, p. 187–206.
- Chien, N., 1956. The present status of research on sediment transport. Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, v. 121, p. 833–884.
- Jobson, H. E., and Sayre, W. W., 1970. Vertical transfer in an open channel flow. Journal of the Hydraulics Division, American Society of Civil Engineers, v. 96, No. HY3, p. 703–724.
- Relationship between eddy viscosity of seawater and eddy diffusivity of suspended particles
Volume 1, Issue 3-4 , pp 249-254
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- B. J. Lees (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Oceanographic Sciences (Taunton), Crossway, TA1 2DW, Taunton, Somerset, UK