Stationary mutant distributions and evolutionary optimization
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Molecular evolution is modelled by erroneous replication of binary sequences. We show how the selection of two species of equal or almost equal selective value is influenced by its nearest neighbours in sequence space. In the case of perfect neutrality and sufficiently small error rates we find that the Hamming distance between the species determines selection. As the error rate increases the fitness parameters of neighbouring species become more and more important. In the case of almost neutral sequences we observe a critical replication accuracy at which a drastic change in the “quasispecies”, in the stationary mutant distribution occurs. Thus, in frequently mutating populations fitness turns out to be an ensemble property rather than an attribute of the individual.
In addition we investigate the time dependence of the mean excess production as a function of initial conditions. Although it is optimized under most conditions, cases can be found which are characterized by decrease or non-monotonous change in mean excess productions.
- Anderson, P. W. 1958. “Absence of Diffusion in Certain Random Lattices.”Phys. Rev. 109, 1492–1505. CrossRef
- Demetrius, L. 1974. “Demographic Parameters and Natural Selection.” Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.71, 4645–4647; (1983). “Statistical Mechanics and Population Biology.”J. stat. Phys. 30, 729–773. CrossRef
- —, P. Schuster and K. Sigmund. 1985. Polynucleotide Evolution and Branching Processes.Bull. math. Biol. 47, 239–262. CrossRef
- Domingo, E., P. Ahlquist and J. J. Holland (Eds.) In press.RNA-Genetics, Vols I and II. Baton Rouge: CRC-Press.
- Eigen, M. 1971. “Selforganization of Matter and the Evolution of Biological Macromolecues”Naturwissenshcaften 58, 465–526. CrossRef
- — 1985. “Macromolecular Evolution: Dynamical Ordering in Sequence Space.”Ber. Bunsenges. phys. Chem.,89, 658–667.
- — and P. Schuster. 1979.The Hypercycle—a Principle of Natural Self-Organization. Berlin: Springer.
- Eigen, M., J. McCaskill and P. Schuster. In press. “Dynamics of Darwinian Molecular Systems.”J. phys. Chem.
- Ewens, W. J. 1979. “Mathematical Population Genetics.” InBiomathematics, Vol. 9. Berlin: Springer.
- Feinberg, M. 1977. “Mathematical Aspects of Mass Action Kinetics.” InChemical Reaction Theory: A Review, N. Amundsen and L. Lapidus (Eds), pp. 1–78. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Jones, B. L. 1978 (Eds) “Some Principles Governing Selection in Self-Reproducing Macromolecular Systems.”J. math. Biol. 6, 169–75.
- —, R. H. Enns and S. S. Ragnekar. 1976. On the Theory of Selection of coupled Macromolecular Systems.”Bull. math. Biol. 38, 12–28. CrossRef
- — and K. H. Leung, 1981. “Stochastic Analysis of a Nonlinear Model for Selection of Biological Macromolecules.”Bull. math. Biol. 43, 665–680.
- Kato, T. 1966. “Perturbation Theory for Linear OperatorsGrundl. Math. Wiss. 132.
- Kimura, M. 1983.The Neutral Theory of Molecular Evolution, Cambridge University Press.
- Leuthäusser, I. 1986. “An Exact Correspondence Between Eigens Evolution Model and a Two-Dimensional Ising Model.”J. chem. Phys. 84, 1884. CrossRef
- McCaskill, J. 1984. “A Localization Threshold for Macromolecular Quasispecies from Continuously Distributed Replication Rates.”J. chem. Phys. 80, 5194–5202. CrossRef
- — 1984. “A Stochastic Theory of Molecular Evolution.”Biol. Cybernetics,50, 63–73. CrossRef
- Rumschitzky, D. 1987. “Spectral Properties of Eigen Evolution Matrices.”J. math. Biol.,24, 667–680.
- Schuster, P. 1986. “Dynamics of Molecular Evolution.”Physica,16D, 100–119.
- — and K. Sigmund. 1985. “Dynamics of Evolutionary Optimization.”Ber. Bunsenges. phys. Chem.,89, 668–682.
- Stein, D. L. and P. W. Anderson. 1984. A Model for the Origin of Biological Catalysis.Proc. Natn. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 81, 1751–1753. CrossRef
- Swetina, J. and P. Schuster. 1982. Selfreplication with Errors. A Model for Polynucleotide Replication.Biophys. Chem. 16, 329–353. CrossRef
- Thompson, C. J. and J. L. McBride. 1974. “On Eigens Theory of the Selforganization of Molecules and the Evolution of Biological Macromolecules.”Math. Biosci.,21, 127–142. CrossRef
- Stationary mutant distributions and evolutionary optimization
Bulletin of Mathematical Biology
Volume 50, Issue 6 , pp 635-660
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links