Some mathematical properties of branching trees with application to the respiratory system
- Keith Horsfield
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A number of biological branching systems, such as the bronchial and pulmonary arterial trees, are being investigated in an ongoing study in order to define their physiological properties. The technique involves the description of branching trees by the use of hierarchical systems of ordering, especially those described by Horsfield and by Strahler. During this work some mathematical properties of branching trees were demonstrated and these are described in this paper.
- Gardener, M. 1969. “Mathematical games.”Scientific American 220, No. 3, 116–120. CrossRef
- Gravelius, H. 1914.Flusskunde, band 1. Berlin and Leipzig: F. G. Goschenesche Verlagshandlung.
- Horsfield, K. and G. Cumming. 1967. “Angles of branching and diameters of branches in the human bronchial tree.”Bull. Math. Biophys.,29, 245–259.
- — and —. 1968. “Morphology of the bronchial tree in man.”J. Appl. Physiol.,24, 373–383.
- —, G. Dart, D. E. Olson, G. Filley and G. Cumming. 1971. “Models of the human bronchial tree.”J. Appl. Physiol.,31, 207–217.
- Horton, R. E. 1945. “Erosional development of streams and their drainage basins; hydrophysical approach to quantitative morphology.”Bull. Geogrl Soc. Am.,56, 275–370.
- Leopold, L. B. and J. P. Miller, 1956. “Ephemeral streams—hydraulic factors and their relation to the drainage net.”U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 282-A.
- Scheidegger, A. E. 1965. “The algebra of stream-order numbers.”U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 525-B, pp. B187–189.
- Singhal, S., R. Henderson, K. Horsfield, K. Harding and G. Cumming. 1973. “Morphometry of the human pulmonary arterial tree.”Circ. Res.,33, 190–197.
- Strahler, A. N. 1953. “Revision of Horton's quantitative factors in erosional terrain.”Trans. Am. Geophysical Union,34, 345.
- Strahler, A. N. 1957. “Quantitative analysis of watershed geomorphology.”Trans. Am. Geophysical Union,38, 913–920.
- Weibel, E. R. 1963.Morphometry of the human lung. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Woldenberg, M. J. 1967. “Geography and properties of surfaces.”Harvard Papers in Theoretical Geography,1, 95–189.
- Some mathematical properties of branching trees with application to the respiratory system
Bulletin of Mathematical Biology
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 305-315
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Keith Horsfield (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Midhurst Medical Research Institute, GU29 0BL, Midhurst, Sussex, England