Optical spectroscopy of opal matrices with CdS embedded in its pores: Quantum confinement and photonic band gap effects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The spectra of transmission and reflection of synthetic opal which has 3-dimensional periodic structure were measured at different orientations of incident beam relative to the sample facets. It is shown that opal behaves as «semi-metallic» photonic band gap (PBG) material in the vicinity of photon energy 2.3 eV. The synthesis of CdS microcrystals embedded in the pores of opal was made for the first time in an attempt to form a system of quantum dots. Optical spectra (reflection and transmission, photoluminescence and Raman scattering) were studied. The results demonstrate good crystallinity of microcrystals embedded in opal matrix and exhibit well-pronounced quantum confinement effects in fundamental edge absorption spectra. The spectral overlap of the PBG of opal with electronic band gap of many of II–VI semiconductors seems to make opal/semiconductor system a promising media for experimental studies of such PBG-related effects as inhibition of spontaneous emission, microcavity polariton, etc.
- Stucky G. D. andMcDougall J. E.,Science,247 (1990) 669.
- Bogomolov V. N., Kumzerov Y. A., Romanov S. G. andShuravlev V. V.,Physica C,208 (1993) 371. CrossRef
- Sanders J. V.,Nature,204 (1964) 1151. CrossRef
- Yablonovitch E.,Phys. Rev. Lett.,58 (1987) 2059;John S.,Phys. Rev. Lett.,58 (1987) 2486. CrossRef
- For a review seeYablonovitch E.,J. Mod. Opt.,41 (1994) 2, 173 and references cited therein.
- Sözuer H. S., Haus J. W. andInguva R.,Phys. Rev. B,45 (1992) 13962. CrossRef
- Ekimov A. I. andEfros Al. L., inLaser Optics of Condensed Matter (Plenum Press, New York, N.Y.) 1988, p. 199.
- Ekimov A. I., Kudryavtsev I. A., Ivanov M. G. andEfros Al. L.,J. Lumin.,46 (1990) 83. CrossRef
- Optical spectroscopy of opal matrices with CdS embedded in its pores: Quantum confinement and photonic band gap effects
Il Nuovo Cimento D
Volume 17, Issue 11-12 , pp 1349-1354
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Excitons and related phenomena (including electron-hole drops)
- II–VI semiconductors
- Wave propagation, transmission and absorption
- Conference proceedings
- Author Affiliations
- 1. A.F. Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute, St.-Petersburg, Russia
- 2. AlmazTechnoKristall, Aleksandrov, Russia
- 3. Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia