Rossby waves with the change of β
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, the change of the Rossby parameter β with latitude is considered and the parameter γ≡−dβ/dy=2Ωsinϕ/a2 is introduced and the β-plane approximation is extended into f=f0+β0y-Y0y2/2 which includes the parameter γ. Such approximation closes further to practice especially in the high latitude regions.
We give emphasis to the research of the effect of the parameter γ on the Rossby waves. It is seen that the effect of the parameter γ is remarkable in the high latitude regions. It can produce the Rossby waves caused by the pure parameter γ. And the phase speed formula of Rossby waves with the change of β is generally given, which is degenerated into the well-known Rossby formula when Y0=0. The researches also point out that when the change of β is regarded, even if the basic current ū is a linear function of y the unstable modes can also take place. However, the parameter γ usually plays a stable part in the Rossby waves and it does affect the longitudinal scale and the structure of constant phase lines (trough-ridge lines) of Rossby waves and slow down the growing or decaying of Rossby waves.
- Rossby, C.G., Relations between variations in the intensity of the zonal circulation of the atmosphere and the displacements of the semi-permanent centers of action.J. Marine. Res.,2 (1939), 38–55.
- Charney, J.G., The dynamics of long waves in a baroclinic westerly current,J. Met.,4 (1947), 135–163.
- Phillips, N.A., Elemently Rossby wave,Tellus,17, (1965), 295–301. CrossRef
- Kuo, H.L., Dynamics instability of two-dimensional non-divergent flow in a barotropic atmosphere,J. Met.,6 (1949), 105–122.
- Zeng, Q.C., The evolution of a Rossby packet wave in a three-dimensional baroclinic atmosphere,J. Atmos. Sci.,40, (1983), 73–84. CrossRef
- Rossby waves with the change of β
Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 39-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Rossby waves
- Rossby parameter
- parameter γ
- Industry Sectors