On the magnetic field and the electrical potential generated by bioelectric sources in an anisotropic volume conductor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The electrical conductivity in biological tissue is often dependent on the direction of the fibres. In the paper the influence of this anisotropic nature on the electrical potential and magnetic field generated by a current dipole is studied analytically. Three different methods are discussed. The volume conductor is described by piecewise homogeneous compartments and the interfaces between compartments are either parallel or perpendicular to one of the principal axes. To illustrate the methods, the influence of the anisotropic nature is computed for a two-layered medium. It turns out that the influence on both the potential and the magnetic field cannot be ignored. However, for some commonly used models of the head and torso, a certain component of the magnetic field is not influenced by the anisotropy.
- Albers, B. A., Rutten, W. L. C., Wallinga-de Jonge, W. andBoom, H. B. K. (1986) A model study on the influence of structure and membrane capacitance on volume conduction in skeletal muscle.IEEE Trans.,BME-33, 681–689.
- Amelsfort, A. M. J. andScharten, T. (1986) A theoretical study of the electromagnetic fields in a limb, excited by artificial sources. EUT Report 86-E-156, ISBN 90-61144-156-0, ISSN 0167-9780.
- Barnard, A. C. L., Duck, J. M., Lynn, M. S. andTimlake, W. P. (1967) The application of electromagnetic theory to electrocardiology II.Biophys. J.,7, 643–491.
- Colli-Franzone, P., Guerri, L., Viganotti, C., Macchi, E., Baruffi, S., Spaggiori, S. andTaccardi, B. (1982) Potential fields generated by oblique dipole layers modeling excitation wavefronts in the anisotropic myocardium.Circ. Res.,51, 330–356.
- Erné, S. N., Curio, G., Trahms, L., Trontelj, Z. andAust, P. (1988) Magnetic activity of a single peripheral nerve in man. InBiomagnetism 1987. Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Biomagnetism, Tokyo,Atsumi, K., Katila, T., Kotani, M., Williamson, S. J. andUeno, S. (eds.), Tokyo Denki University Press.
- Geddes, L. A. andBaker, L. E. (1967) The specific resistance of biological material, a compendium of data for the biomedical engineer and physiologist.Med. & Biol. Eng.,5, 271–293.
- Geselowitz, D. B. (1970) On the magnetic field generated outside an inhomogeneous volume conductor by internal sources.IEEE Trans.,MAG-6, 346–347.
- Gonelli, R. S. andAgnello, M. (1988) Simulation of an excitation wavefront spreading through an anisotropic myocardium: an analytical model study of the heart magnetic field during ventricular activation. InBiomagnetism 1987. proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Biomagnetism, Tokyo.Atsumi, K. Katila, T., Kotani, M., Williamson, S. J. andUeno, S. (Eds.), Tokyo Denki University Press.
- Gradshteyn, I. S. andRyzhik, I. M. (1965)Table of integral series and products, 4th edn. Academic Press, New York, London.
- Hoeltzell, P. B. andDijker, R. W. (1979) Conductivity in the somatosensory cortex of the cat. Evidence for cortical anisotropy.Brain Res.,177, 61–82. CrossRef
- Kunz, K. S. andMoran, J. H. (1958) Some effects of formation anisotropy on resistivity measurements in boreholes.Geophys.,XXIII, 770–794. CrossRef
- Mizutani, Y. andKuriki, S. (1988) Spinal evoked fields at neck by mixed and sensory nerve stimulation at various frequencies. InBiomagnetism 1987. Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Biomagnetism, Tokyo,Atsumi, K., Katila, T., Kotani, M., Williamson, S. J. andUeno, S. (Eds), Tokyo Denki University Press.
- Nicholson, P. W. (1965) Specific impedance of cerebral white matter.Exp. Neur.,13, 386–401. CrossRef
- Nicholson, C. (1973) Theoretical analysis of field potentials in anisotropic ensembles of neuronal elements.IEEE Trans.,BME-20, 278–288.
- Nicholson, C. andFreeman, J. A. (1975) Theory of current source-density analysis and determination of conductivity tensor for anuran cerebellum.J. Neurophysiol.,38, 356–368.
- Nunez, P. L. (1981)Electric fields of the brain: Oxford University Press, New York.
- Okada, Y. C. andNicholson, C. (1988) Currents underlying the magnetic evoked field in the cerebellum. InBiomagnetism 1987 6th Int. Conf. on Biomagnetism, Tokyo.Atsumi, K., Katila, T., Kotani, M., Williamson, S. J. andUeno, S. (Eds), Tokyo Denki University Press.
- Peters, M. J., Henke, J. J. andMeijs, J. W. H. (1988) The influence of an anisotropic, homogeneous, volume conductor of infinite extent on bioelectric potentials and biomagnetic fields. InAdvances in biomagnetism: Functional localization, a challenge for biomagnetism.Erné, S. N. andRomani, G. L. (Eds.), (in press).
- Plonsey, R. andHeppner, D. (1967) Considerations of quasistationarity in electrophysiological systems.Bull. Math. Biophys.,29, 657–664.
- Roth, B. J. andWikswo, J. P. Jr. (1986) Electrically silent magnetic fields.Biophys. J.,50, 739–745. CrossRef
- Rush, S. (1967) A principle for solving a class of anisotropic current flow problems and applications to electrocardiography.IEEE Trans.,BME-14, 18–22.
- Rush, S. andDriscoll, D. A. (1968) Current distribution in the brain from surface electrodes.Anesth. Analg. Curr. Res. 47, 717–732.
- Stanley, P. C., Pilkinton, T. C. andMorrow, M. N. (1986) The effects of thoracic inhomogeneities on the relationship between epicardial and torso potentials.IEEE Trans.,BME-33, 273–284.
- Tesche, C. D., Krusin-Elbaum, L. andKnowles, W. D. (1988) Simulataneous measurement of magnetic field and electric potential generated byin vitro hippocampal slices. InBiomagnetism 1987. Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Biomagnetism, Tokyo.Atsumi, K., Katila, T., Kotani, M. Williamson, S. J. andUeno, S. (Eds), Tokyo Denki University Press.
- Yedlin, M., Kwan, M., Murphy, J. T., Nguyen, H., andWong, Y. C. (1974) Electrical conductivity in cat cerebellar cortex.Exp. Neur.,43, 555–569. CrossRef
- On the magnetic field and the electrical potential generated by bioelectric sources in an anisotropic volume conductor
Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 617-623
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Electrical Potential
- Magnetic field
- Volume conductor
- Industry Sectors