Living conditions and the health of two social groups inhabiting a squatter settlement in Calcutta, India
- S. Ray
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Squatter dwellers are found in almost all the Third World countries. Poor living conditions are the characteristic features of all the squatter settlements. Again, poor living conditions are also associated with the health condition of the squatter dwellers. In the present study an attempt has been made to compare and contrast the living condition of two social groups (Hindu and Muslim) inhabiting a squatter settlement in Calcutta, India. The results show that the overall living condition of the Muslim is worse than that of the Hindu. The morbidity pattern is also worse in the Muslim than in the Hindu.
- Adamchak D. J., 1979. Emerging trends in the relationship between infant mortality and socio-economic status. (Mimeo.). (Cited by Mahadevan, 1986).
- Ankler, R., Knowles, (1977) An empirical analysis of mortality differentials in Kenya at the macro and micro levels. International Labour Organisation, Geneva
- Bapat M. & Crook N., 1984. The environment, health and nutrition. An analysis of interrelationships from a case study of hutment settlements in the city of Poona. Habitat International (8) (12p). (Cited by Bradley et al., 1992).
- Bradley, D., Stephens, C., Harpham, T., Cairncross, S. (1992) A Review of Environmental Health Impacts in Developing Cities. The World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Chen, B.H. (1990) Indoor air pollution in developing countries. WHO Statistics Quarterly 43: pp. 127-138
- Chowdhury, A.K.M. The concept of intermediate level variables in mortality studies. In: Edmonston, B., Bairagi, R. eds. (1982) Infant and child mortality in Bangladesh. University of Dacca, Dacca
- Crompton, D.W.T., Savioli, L. (1993) Intestinal parasitic infections and urbanisation. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation 71: pp. 1-7
- Ghosh, B. Slums in India. In: Ghosh, B. eds. (1991) Health Implications of Public Policy: Case Studies, Modules, Methodologies. Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Giugliani, E.R.J., Seffrin, C.F., Golden, M. (1987) The malnourished children of urban squatter families: A study in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Journal of Tropical Paediatrics 33: pp. 194-198
- Guha, U. (1958) A Sample Survey of the Socioeconomic Conditions of Sahebbagan Bustee, Rajabazar. Anthropological Survey of India, Government of India, Calcutta
- Gunatilleke, N. Urban poor: Case of Sri Lanka. In: Ghosh, B. eds. (1991) Health Implications of Public Policy: Case Studies, Modules, Methodologies. Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Lee-Smith D. & Trujillo C.H., 1992. The struggle to legitimise subsistence: Women and sustainable development. Environment and Urbanisation Vol. 4, No. 1, April. (Cited by Satterthwaite et al. 1995).
- Mahadevan, K. (1983) Rethinking on policy and interventions to control infant and childhood mortality in developing countries. INED and IUSSP, Paris
- Mahadevan, K. Mortality, Biology and Society: Analytical Framework and Conceptual Model. In: Mahadevan, K., Reddy, P.J., Naidu, D.A. eds. (1986) Fertility and Mortality: Theory, Methodology and Empirical Issues. Sage Publications, New Delhi
- Marshall, C.B. (1966) Slums and Community Development. The Free Press, New York
- Moser, C.O.N., Peake, L. (1987) Women, Human Settlements and Housing. Tavistock Publications, London
- Osinusi, K., Oyejide, C. (1989) Morbidity pattern among Nigerian children from poor urban community. African Journal of Medicine and Medical Science 18: pp. 43-47
- Ray, S. (1998) Family planning practices, fertility and mortality in two social groups inhabiting a squatter settlement in calcutta. Social Biology and Human Affairs 68: pp. 12-23
- Ray, S., Basak, S., Mitra, P.K. (1997) Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infestations among two squatter settlement populations of Calcutta. Journal of Human Ecology 8: pp. 463-466
- Ray, S., Basak, S., Mitra, P.K., Bharati, P. (1998) Health profile of two social groups living in a squatter settlement in Calcutta. Collegium Antropologicum 22: pp. 247-258
- Satterthwaite, D. (1993) The impact on health of urban environments. Environment and Urbanisation 5: pp. 87-111
- Satterthwaite, D., Hart, R., Levy, C., Mitlin, D., Ross, D., Smit, J., Stephens, C. (1995) An Environment for Children. Understanding and Acting on Environmental Hazards that Threatens Infants and Children and Their Parents. IIED, London, U.K.
- Sen, S.N. Slums and Bustees in Calcutta. In: Desai, A.R., Pillai, D.S. eds. (1970) Slums and Urbanisation. Popular Prakashan, Bombay
- Songsore, J., McGranahan, G. (1993) Environment, wealth and health: Towards an analysis of intra-urban differentials within the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area, Ghana. Environment and Urbanisation 5: pp. 10-34
- Stephens, B., Mason, J.P., Isely, R.B. (1985) Health and low cost housing. World Health Forum 6: pp. 59-62
- Surjadi, C. (1993) Respiratory diseases of mothers and children and environmental factors among households in Jakarta. Environment and Urbanisation 5: pp. 78-86
- Surjadi, C., Padmasutra, L., Wahuyuningsih, D., McGranahan, G., Kjellen, M. (1994) Household Environmental Problems in Jakarta. Stockholm Environmental Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Tecky B. & Shorter F.C., 1984. Determinants of child mortality: A study of squatter settlements in Jordan. In (W.H. Mosley, and Chen, L.C. eds.). Child Survival Strategies and Research. Population and Development Review. A supplement, Vol.10.
- Tewari V.K., 1991. Healthy housing: Urban India. In (B. Ghosh, ed.). Health Implications of Public Policy: Case Studies, Modules, Methodologies, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore.
- Timaeus, I., Hill, A. (1985) Housing, Sanitation and Child Mortality in the Cukurova Metropolitan Region: Results from a pilot household survey. Centre for Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, U.K.
- Our Planet, Our Health. Report of the Commission on Health and Environment. WHO, Geneva
- Living conditions and the health of two social groups inhabiting a squatter settlement in Calcutta, India
International Journal of Anthropology
Volume 17, Issue 3-4 , pp 209-224
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Living condition
- Squatter dwellers
- S. Ray (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 B.T. Road, 700 035, Calcutta, India