Age at menopause of Tamang women tea-labourers of Jalpaiguri district, West Bengal, India
- Dr Chunki Piplai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Tamang women tea-labouren of Jalpaiguri district show no significant difference in age at menopause among their three «migration status» groups, viz., MO, M1 and M2+. The mean age at menopause is 47.3±4.26 and the median age is 47.68 years. A significant difference occurs between the observed mean age at menopause and 45 years, which is generally taken to be the menopausal age by convention. These Tamang women seem to be similar to other hill women in respect of age at menopause.
- Abramson J.H., B. Gampel, C. Slome, N. Scotch, 1960.Age at menopause of urban Zulu women. Science. 132: 356–357.
- Beall C.M., 1983.Age at menopause and menarche in a high altitude Himlayan population. Ann. Hum. Biol. 10: 365–370. CrossRef
- Flint M.P., 1974.Menarche and Menopause of Raiput women. Ph.D. Dissertation City University of New York.
- Ghosh A.K. &S. Kumari, 1973.Effect of menarcheal age on fertility. J. Ind. Anthrop. Soc. 8: 165–172.
- Gogoi D., 1972.Menarche and menopause among women of an Ahom village in Upper Assam, Bull. Dept. Anthrop., Dibrugarh University.
- Goodman M.J., J.S. Grove &F. Gilbert, 1978.Age at menopause in relation to reproductive history in Japanese, Caucasian, Chinese and Hawaiian women living in Hawaii. J. Gerontology. 33: 688–694.
- Hauser G.A., 1952.Menarche and menopause in Israel. Gynocol. Basel 155: 38–47.
- Jaszmann L., N.D. Vanlith &J.C.A. Zaat, 1969.The age at menopause in the Netherlands. Int. J. Fert. 14: 106. (cited by Mahadevan et al. 1982).
- Kapoor A.K. &Satwanti Kapoor, 1986.The effects of high altitude on age at menarche and menopause. Int. J. Biometeor. 30: 21–26. CrossRef
- Kar R.K. &S. Mahanta, 1975.Menarche and menopause among the Singpho women of Arunachal Pradesh. Ind. J. Phy. Anth. Hum. Genet. 1: 51–57.
- Mahadevan K., M.S.R. Murthy, P.R. Reddy & S. Bhashkaran, 1982.Early menopause and its determinants. J. Biosoc. Sci 14: 473–479. CrossRef
- McKinlay S., 1972.An investigation of the age at menopause. J. Biosoc. Sci. 4: 161–173.
- Rakshit S., 1962.Reproductive life of some Indian women. Man in India. 42: 139–164.
- Sen T., 1953.Reproductive life of some Indian women. Man in India. 33: 31–54.
- Singh L. 1984.Reproductive performance of Bhotia women of Mana Village. Anthrop. Anz. 42: 137–140.
- Talukdar S., 1977.On age at menopause in India. Man in India. 57: 345–350.
- Treloar A.E., 1974.Menarche, menopause and intervening fecundibility. Hum. Biol. 46: 89–108.
- Age at menopause of Tamang women tea-labourers of Jalpaiguri district, West Bengal, India
International Journal of Anthropology
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 233-236
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Tea Labours
- Migration Status
- Dr Chunki Piplai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Anthropological Survey of India, 27 Jawharlal Nehru Road, Calcutta, 16