Effect of microscopic and macroscopic discontinuities on the response of cardiac tissue to defibrillating (stimulating) currents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
What transmembrane potentials are produced in cardiac tissue in response to the application of defibrillating (or stimulating) currents? Such transmembrane potentials are found here by means of an idealised one-dimensional model of cardiac tissue that incorporates intracellular and extracellular current flow paths and allows variable (intracellular) junction resistance. Markedly different transmembrane potentials were computed near the ends (compared with the centre) of 30- and 60-cell strands. With high junction resistance, periodic positive and negative transmembrane potentials occurred within each cell near the centre of the strand. The results in the aggregate paint a picture quite different from that of uniform depolarisation.
- Bennett, M. V. L. (1973) Permeability and structure of electronic junctions and intercellular movement of tracers. InIntracellular staining in neurobiology.Kater, S. B. andNicholson, C. (eds.), Springer-Verlag, New York, USA, 115–134.
- Chapman, R. A. andFry, C. H. (1978) An analysis of the cable properties of frog ventricular myocardium.J. Physiol.,283, 263–282.
- Clerc, L. (1976) Directional differences of impulse spread in trabecular muscle from mammalian heart.,255, 335–346.
- Close, C. M. (1966)The analysis of linear circuits. Harcourt, Brace & World Inc., 103.
- Dahl, G. andIsenberg, G. (1980) Decoupling of heart muscle cells: correlation with increased cytoplasmic calcium activity and with changes of nexus ultrastructure.J. Membrane Biol.,53, 63–75. CrossRef
- de Mello, W. C. (1972) The healing process in cardiac and other muscle fibers. InElectrical phenomena in the heart.de Mello, W. C. (Ed.), Academic Press, New York, USA, 323–351.
- de Mello, W. C. (1982) Intercellular communication in cardiac muscle.Circ. Res.,51, 1–9.
- Freygang, W. H. andTrautwein, W. (1970) The structural implications of the linear electrical properties of cardiac Purkinje strands.J. Gen. Physiol.,55, 524–547. CrossRef
- Lowenstein, W. R. (1976) Permeable junctions. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology,40, 49–63.
- Matter, A. (1973) A morphometric study on the nexus of rat cardiac muscle.J. Cell. Biol. 56, 690–696. CrossRef
- Page, E. andShibata, Y. (1981) Permeable junctions between cardiac cells.Ann. Rev. Physiol.,43, 431–441. CrossRef
- Plonsey, R. (1969)Bioelectric phenomena. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, USA, 286–294.
- Roberts, D. andScher, A. M. (1982) Effect of tissue anisotropy on extracellular potential fields in canine myocardiumin situ.Circ. Res.,50, 342–351.
- Tacker, W. A. andGeddes, L. A. (1980)Electrical defibrillation. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
- Vick, R. L., Hazelwood, C. F. andNichols, B. F. (1970) Distribution of potassium, sodium, and chloride in canine Purkinje and ventricular tissue.Circ. Res.,27, 159–169.
- Weidmann, S. (1970) Electrical constants of trabecular muscle from mammalian heart.J. Physiol.,210, 1041–1054.
- Weidmann, S. (1982) Low resistance contacts and propagation of the cardiac action potential. InNormal and abnormal conduction in the heart.Paes de Carvalho, A., Hoffman, B. F. andLieberman, M. (Eds.), Futura Publ. Co., Mt. Kisco, New York, USA, 43–52.
- Weingart, R. (1977) The actions of ouabain on intercellular coupling and conduction velocity in mammalian ventricular muscle.J. Physiol.,264, 341–365.
- Effect of microscopic and macroscopic discontinuities on the response of cardiac tissue to defibrillating (stimulating) currents
Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 130-136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Transmembrane potentials
- Industry Sectors