FLIM on a wide field fluorescence microscope
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
FLIM (Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging Microscopy) is a new tool to detect interaction between proteins. The proteins under investigation are fused with fluorescent donor and acceptor molecules. Interaction between the two proteins is accompanied by direct energy transfer from donor to acceptor (FRET), resulting in a shorter lifetime of the fluorescence emitted by the donor molecule. This change in lifetime is detected by FLIM.
Fluorescence lifetime imaging can now be done on a widefield fluorescence microscope by using an attachment that is easy to install and simple to operate. The new LIFA attachment is equipped to use different excitation sources. High brightness modulated LEDs as well as lasers modulated by an Accousto Optical Modulator can be used as excitation light source. A modulated image intensifier with digital camera is used as a detector. Power supplies and signal generator are integrated in one control unit that is connected to the light source, detector and computer. All parameters for image acquisition, processing and viewing are easy accessible in the user interface of the software package that uses a modular structure. Lifetime images showing FRET in MCF7 cells with ErbB1-GFP as donor and Py72/Cy3 as acceptor that were taken at EMBL, Heidelberg are shown.
- Gadella, T.W.J., Micros. Anal., (1997) 13.
- Wouters, F.S., Verveer, P.J. and Bastiaens, P.I.H. Trends in Cell Biolo. 11(5), 2001 203. CrossRef
- Buurman, E.P., Sanders, R., Draaijer, A., Gerritsen, H.C., van Veen, J.J.F., Houpt, P.M. and Levine, Y.K., Scanning, 14 (1992) 155.
- Piston, D.W. et al., Proc. SPIE-Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 1640 (1992) 379.
- Ni, T. and Melton, L.A. Appl. Spectros, 45 (1991) 938. CrossRef
- Wang, X.F., Uchida, T., Coleman, D. and Minami, S., Appl. Spectros, 45(3) (1991) 360. CrossRef
- Scully, F.R., Ostler, A.D., Phillips, R.B., O'Neill, D., Townsend, P.O., Parker, K.M.S., Parker, A.W. and MacRobert, A.J., Bioimaging, 5(1) (1997) 9. CrossRef
- Araki, T. and Mishawa, H., Rev. Sci. Inst. 66(12) (1995) 5469. CrossRef
- Boddeke, F.R., Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University Press, Delft, The Netherlands, 1998.
- Hanley, Q.S., Subramaniam, V., Arndt-Jovin, D. J. and Jovin, T.M., Cytometry 43 (2001) 248. CrossRef
- Verveer, P.J., Wouters, F.S., Reynolds, A.R., Bastiaens, P.I. Science 290(5496) (2000) 1567. CrossRef
- Gadella, Jr, T.W.J., Clegg, R.M. and Jovin, T.M., Bioimaging, 2 (1994) 139. CrossRef
- van Geest, L.K. Boddeke, F.R., van Dijk, F.R., Kamp, A.F., vander Oord, C.J.R. and Stoop, K.W.J., Proc. SPIE-Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 3605 (1995) 55.
- FLIM on a wide field fluorescence microscope
Letters in Peptide Science
Volume 10, Issue 5-6 , pp 501-510
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors