Time-varying digital filtering of ECG baseline wander
- Dr. L. Sörnmo
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Time-varying filtering techniques are applied to the problem of baseline correction by letting the cut-off frequency of a linear filter be controlled by the low-frequency properties of the ECG signal. The time-varying filter is implemented as a bank of linear low-pass filters, in which each filter has a slightly differing cut-off frequency. Sampling rate decimation and interpolation are employed because the design of a filter for baseline reduction can be treated as a narrowband filtering problem. All filters have a linear phase response to reduce, for example, ST-segment distortion. The performance of the technique presented is studied on ECG signals with different types of simulated baseline wander. The results are compared with the performance of time-invariant linear filtering and cubic spline interpolation. The results show that an improvement in performance can be achieved when using time-varying filtering, especially at low heart rates or during episodes with excessive baseline wander.
- AHA (1990) Recommendations for standardization and specifications in automated electrocardiography: bandwidth and digital signal processing. American Heart Association Committee on Electrocardiography.Circ.,81, 730–739.
- Bartoli, F., Cerutti, S. andGatti, E. (1983) Digital filtering and regression algorithms for an accurate detection of the baseline in ECG signals.Med. Inform.,8, 71–82. CrossRef
- De Sà J. P. M. (1982) Digital FIR filtering for removal of ECG baseline wander.J. Clin. Eng.,7, 235–239.
- Froning, J., Froelicher, V. F. andOlson, M. D. (1987) Application and limitations of continuous baseline estimation and removal using cubic-spline technique during exercise ECG testing. Proc. Computers in Cardiology, Conf., IEEE Comput. Soc., 537–540.
- Froning, J., Olson, M. D. andFroelicher, V. F. (1988) Problems and limitations of ECG baseline estimation and removal using cubic spline technique during exercise ECG testing: recommendations for proper implementation.J. Electrocardiol., Suppl.,21, 149–157. CrossRef
- Gradwohl, J. R., Pottala, E. W., Horton, M. R. andBailey, J. J. (1988) Comparison of two methods for removing baseline wander in the ECG. Proc. Computers in Cardiology Conf., IEEE Comput. Soc., 493–496.
- Jarske, P., Nuevo, Y. andMitra, S. K. (1988) A simple approach to the designof linear phase FIR digital filters with variable characteristics.Sig. Proc.,14, 313–326. CrossRef
- Longini, R. L., Giolma, J. P., Wall, C. andQuick, R. F. (1975) Filtering without phase shift.IEEE Trans.,BME-22, 432–433.
- MacFarlane, P. W., Peden, J. Lennox, G., Watts, M. P. andLawrie, T. D. V. (1977) The Glasgow system. InProceedings of trends in computer-processed electrocardiograms.Van Bemmel, J. H., andWillems, J. L. (Eds.), North-Holland, 143–150.
- Mäkivirta, A., Estola, K.-P., Saramäki, T., Kalli, S. andJärvinen, K. (1985) Exercise ECG preprocessor with a high-performance digital filter. Proc. 14th Int. Conf. Med. & Biol. Eng., Espoo, Finland, 11th–16th Aug., 629–630.
- Mäkivirta, A., Estola, K.-P. andKalli, S. (1986) Digital quality enhancement of analog ECG signal. Proc. Computers in Cardiology Conf., IEEE Comput. Soc., 699–702.
- McClellan, J. H., Parks, T. W. andRabiner, R. L. (1973) A computer program for designing FIR optimum linear phase digital filters.IEEE Trans.,AU-21, 506–526.
- Meyer, C. R. andKeiser, H. N. (1977) Electrocardiogram baseline noise estimation and removal using cubic splines and state space computation.Comput. Biomed. Res.,10, 450–470. CrossRef
- Mortara, D. (1978) Digital filters for ECG signals. Proc. Computers in Cardiology Conf., IEEE Comput. Soc., 511–514.
- Nygårds, M.-E. andSörnmo, L. (1983) Delineation of the QRS complex using the envelope of the e.c.g..Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput.,21, 538–547. CrossRef
- Pahlm, O. andSörnmo, L. (1987) Data processing of exercise ECGs.IEEE Trans.,BME-34, 158–165.
- Riedl, H., Ertel, W., Hoffman, H. andHott, K. H. (1977) The Siemens program. InProceedings of trends in computer-processed electrocardiograms.Van Bemmel, J. H., andWillems, J. L. (Eds.) North-Holland, 191–196.
- Talmon, J. L. (1983) Pattern recognition of the ECG. Thesis, Free University, Amsterdam
- van Alsté, J. A. andSchilder, T. S. (1985) Removal baseline wander and powerline interference from the ECG by an efficient filter with reduced number of taps.IEEE Trans.,BME-32, 1052–1061.
- van Alsté, J., van Eck, W. andHerrman, O. E. (1986) ECG baseline wander reduction using linear phase filters.Comput. Biomed. Res.,19, 417–427. CrossRef
- Yi-Sheng, Z. andThakor, N. V. (1986) P-wave detection by an adaptive QRS-T cancellation technique. Proc. Computers in Cardiology Conf., IEEE Comput. Soc., 249–252.
- Time-varying digital filtering of ECG baseline wander
Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing
Volume 31, Issue 5 , pp 503-508
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Baseline wander
- Cutoff frequency
- Stress test
- Industry Sectors
- Dr. L. Sörnmo (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Physiology, Lund University, Lasarettet, S-221 85, Lund, Sweden
- 2. Department of Signal Processing, Lund University, Lasarettet, S-221 85, Lund, Sweden