Mathematical model of an arterial stenosis, allowing for tethering
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Closed-form solutions are presented for approximate equations governing the pulsatile flow of blood through models of mild axisymmetric arterial stenosis, taking into account the effect of arterial distensibility. Results indicate the existence of back-flow regions and the phenomenon of flow-reversal in the cross-sections. The effects of pulsatility of flow and elasticity of vessel wall for arterial blood flow through stenosed vessels are determined.
- Back, L. D., Radbill, J. R., andCrawford, D. A. (1977) Analysis of pulsatile viscous blood flow through diseased coronary arteries of man.J. Biomech.,10, 339–353. CrossRef
- Clark, C. (1977) Turbulent wall pressure measurements in a model of aortic stenosis.J. Biomech.,10, 461–467. CrossRef
- Forrester, J. H. andYoung, D. F. (1970) Flow through a convergent divergent tube and its implications in occlusive vascular disease.J. Biomech.,3, 297–316. CrossRef
- Fry, D. L. (1960) Acute vascular endothelial changes associated with increased blood velocity gradients.Circ. Res.,22, 165–197.
- Fung, Y. C., Perrone, N. andAnliker, M. (1971)Biomechanics: its foundations and objectives. Prentice Hall Inc., NJ, USA.
- Lee, J. S. andFung, Y. C. (1970) Flow in locally constricted tube at low Reynolds numbers.Trans. ASME. J. Appl. Mech.,37, 9–16. CrossRef
- Lightfoot, E. N. (1974)Transport phenomenon and cardiovascular systems. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Milnor, W. R. (1972) Pulmonary hemodynamics.In Bergel, D. H. (Ed.)Cardiovascular fluid dynamics,2, Academic Press.
- Murphy, G. M. (1960)Ordinary differential equations and their solutions. Van Nostrand, New Jersey.
- Padmanabhan, N. (1980) Mathematical model of arterial stenosis.Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput.,18, 281–286. CrossRef
- Skalak, R. andStathis, T. (1966) A porous tapered elastic tube model of a vascular bed.Biomech. symp. ASME, New York, 68–81.
- Young, D. F. (1968) Effect of a time dependent stenosis on flow through a tube.Trans. ASME. J. Eng. Ind.,90, 248–254.
- Young, D. F. andTsai, F. Y. (1973) Flow characteristics in models of arterial stenosis, I, II.J. Biomech.,6, 395–410, 547–559. CrossRef
- Mathematical model of an arterial stenosis, allowing for tethering
Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 385-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Arterial stenosis
- Industry Sectors