Newly acquired feeding habits among the chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The M group chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) of the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania, began to feed on three agricultural fruit species, guava, mango and lemon. It took them 7–8 years until they began to taste these fruits since the villagers left the park area in 1974. Although adult chimpanzees are conservative in their feeding habits, they are capable of rapidly acquiring new feeding habits, or new traditions, once they notice that the food is suitable.
- Albrecht H. &Dunnett S. C., 1971.Chimpanzees in western africa. In (W. Wickler, Ed.) Studies in Ethology, 138 pp. München: Piper.
- Beatty H., 1951.A note on the behaviour of the chimpanzee. Journal of Mammalogy, 32: 118.
- Cambefort J. P., 1981.A comparative study of culturally transmitted patterns of feeding habits in the chacma baboon Papio ursinusand the vervet monkey Cercopithecus aethiops. Folia primatologica, 36: 243–263.
- Goodall J. van Lawick, 1968.The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve. Animal Behaviour Monographs, 1: 161–311.
- Hiraiwa-Hasegawa M., Hasegawa T. &Nishida T., 1984.Demographic study of a large-sized unit group of chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania: A preliminary report. Primates, 25: 401–413. CrossRef
- Hladik C.M., 1977.Chimpanzees of Gabon and chimpanzees of Gombe: Some comparative data on the diet. In (T. H. Clutton-Brock, Ed.). Primate Ecology: Studies of Feeding and Ranging Behaviour in Lemurs, Monkeys and Apes, pp. 481–501. London: Academic Press.
- Itani J., 1958.On the acquisition and propagation of a new food habit in the natural groups of the wild Japanese monkey at Takasakiyama. Primates 1: 84–98. In Japanese. CrossRef
- Kano T., 1972.Distribution and adaptation of the chimpanzee on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika. Kyoto University African Studies, 7: 37–129.
- Kano T. &Mulavwa, M., 1984.Feeding ecology of the pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus)of Wamba. In (R. L. Susman, Ed.). The pygmy Chimpanzee: The Evolutionary Biology and Behavior, pp. 233–274. New York: Plenum Press.
- Kawai M., 1965.Newly acquired precultural behavior of the natural troop of Japanese monkeys on Koshima Island. Primates, 6: 1–30. CrossRef
- Kortlandt A., 1962.Chimpanzees in the wild. Scientific American 206: 128–138. CrossRef
- Kortlandt A., 1967.Experimentation with chimpanzees in the wild. In (D. Starck, R. Schneider & H. J. Kuhn, Eds.). Neue Ergebnisse der Primatologie, pp. 208–224. Stuttgart: Fischer Verlag.
- Kortlandt A., 1981.Comment. Current Anthropology, 22: 136–138.
- Kuroda S., 1982. The Pygmy Chimpanzee: Its Secret Life. 234 pp. Tokyo: Chikumashobo. In Japanese.
- Nishida T., 1973. Children of the Mountain Spirits. Tokyo: Chikumashobo.
- Nishida T., 1974.Ecology of wild chimpanzees. In (R. Otsuka, J. Tanaka & T. Nishida, eds.) Ecology of Man, pp. 15–60. Tokyo: Kyoritsushyppan. In Japanese.
- Nishida T., 1976.The bark-eating habits in primates, with special reference to their status in the diet of wild chimpanzees. Folia primatologica, 25: 277–287. CrossRef
- Nishida T., 1977.Chimpanzee of the Mahale Mountains. I. Ecology and social structure of unit group. In (J. Itani, Ed.). The Chimpanzee, pp. 543–538. Tokyo: Kodansha.
- Nishida T. (1979).The social structure of chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. In (D. A. Hamburg & E. R. McCown, Eds.) The Great Apes, pp. 73–121. Menlo Park: Benjamin/Cummings.
- Nishida T., 1980.On chimpanzee culture. Kagaku, 50: 146–154. In Japanese.
- Nishida T., 1981. The World of Wild Chimpanzees. Tokyo: Chuôkoronsha. In Japanese.
- Nishida T. &Uehara S., 1983.Natural diet of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii):Long-term record from the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania. African Study Monographs, 3: 109–130.
- Nishida T., Wrangham R. W., Goodall J. &Uehara S. (1983).Local differences in plant-feeding habits of chimpanzees between the Mahale Mountains and the Gombe National Park, Tanzania. Journal of Human Evolution, 12: 467–480. CrossRef
- Sugiyama Y. &Koman, J., 1979.Tool-using and—making behavior in wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea. Primates, 20: 513–524. CrossRef
- Takasaki H., 1983.Mahale chimpanzees taste mangoes—toward acquisition of a new food item? Primates, 24: 273–275. CrossRef
- Uehara S., 1982.Seasonal changes in the techniques employed by wild chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania, to feed on termites (Pseudacanthotermes spiniger). Folia primatologica, 37: 44–76.
- Wrangham R. W., 1977.Feeding behaviour of chimpanzees in Gombe National Park, Tanzania. In (T. H. Clutton-Brock, Ed.). Primate Ecology: Studies of Feeding and Ranging Behaviour in Lemurs, Monkeys and Apes, pp. 503–538. London: Academic Press.
- Newly acquired feeding habits among the chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 277-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii
- agricultural fruit
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Human Evolution Studies, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo-ku, 606, Kyoto, Japan
- 2. Department of Anthropology, Faculty of Science, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, 113, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Laboratory of Human Evolution Studies, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo-ku, 606, Kyoto, Japan
- 4. Mahale Mountains Wildlife, Research Centre, P.O. Box 1053, Kigoma, Tanzania