Effects of urine on soil microbial biomass, methanogenesis, nitrification and denitrification in grassland soils
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Urine was added under controlled conditions to intact turfs taken from long-term permanent pasture on clay loam and sandy loam soils in South West England. Methane exchanges were small (<+/−0.03 μg CH4 m-2 min-1) and overall absorption equalled or exceeded emission in both soils. On the clay loam, wetting with water or urine increased soil microbial biomass C and N contents by about 20% but there was no specific effect of urine. Urine, however, caused an increase in soil respiration of >50% and the average increase was greater for cow's urine (30.8 mg CO2 m-2 min-1) than for an artificial urine (20.1 mg CO2 m-2 min-1). Emissions of nitric and nitrous oxides following urine application were substantial (on average 0.36 μg NO-N and 29 μg N2O-N m-2 min-1) but short lived (<40 days). The high levels of ammonium found in the urine treated soils (>200 mg NH4 +-N kg-1) were nitrified to nitrate over a period of 42 days. Qualitative changes in the soil microbial biomass were evidently not related to biomass size. Relationships between trace gas emissions and soil processes are discussed. ei]Section editor: R Merckx
- Allen A G, Jarvis S C and Headon D M 1996 Nitrous oxide emission from soil due to inputs of nitrogen from excreta return by livestock on grazed grassland in the UK. Soil Biol. Biochem. 28, 597–607. CrossRef
- Anderson T H and Domsch K H 1980 Quantities of plant nutrients in the microbial biomass of selected soils. Soil Sci. 130, 211–216.
- Bremner J M and Blackmer A M 1978 Nitrous oxide: emission from soils during nitrification of fertilizer nitrogen. Science 199, 295–296.
- Brookes P C, Landman A, Pruden G and Jenkinson D S 1985 Chloroform fumigation and the release of soil N: a rapid direct extraction method to measure microbial biomass N in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 17, 837–842.
- Cumby T R, Moses B S O and Nigro E 1995 Methane emissions from animal wastes under different environmental conditions. Final report on MAFF contract CSA 2266, Silsoe Research Institute, Silsoe, Beds., UK.
- DeKlein C A M and VanLogtestijn R S P 1994 Denitrification and N2O emission from urine-affected grassland soil. Plant and Soil 163, 235–242. CrossRef
- Doak B W 1952 Some chemical changes in the nitrogenous constituents of urine when voided on pasture. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 42, 162–171.
- Firestone M K 1982 Biological denitrification.In Nitrogen in Agricultural Soils. Ed. F JStevenson. pp 289–326. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI, USA.
- Hendricksen A and Selmer-Olsen A R 1970 Automatic methods for determining nitrate and nitrite in water and soil extracts. Analyst 95, 514–518.
- Hutsch B W, Webster C P and Powlson D S 1993 Long-term effects of nitrogen fertilization on methane oxidation in soil of the Broadbalk Wheat Experiment. Soil Biol. Biochem. 25, 1307–1315.
- Jarvis S C, Lockyer D R, Warren G, Hatch D J and Dollard G 1994 Preliminary studies of the exchanges of methane between grassland and the atmosphere. Workshop Proceedings 15th General Meeting of the European Grassland Federation, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 6 to 10 June 1994. pp 408–412. Nederlandse Vereniging voor Weideen Voederbouw, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- Jarvis S C, Lovell R D and Panayides R 1995 Patterns of methane emission from excreta of grazing animals. Soil Biol. Biochem. 27, 1581–1588. CrossRef
- Kishan J, Khan M Y and Murari L 1989 Effect of feeding and fasting on urinary nitrogen and carbon excretion in desi cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 59, 1465–1467.
- Lessard R, Rochette P, Topp E, Pattey E, Desjardins R L and Beaumont G 1994 Methane and carbon dioxide fluxes from poorly drained adjacent cultivated and forest sites. Can. J. Soil Sci. 74, 139–146.
- Lockyer D R 1984 A system for the measurement in the field of losses of ammonia through volatilisation. J. Sci. Food Agric. 35, 837–848.
- Lovell R D, Jarvis S C and Bardgett R S 1995 Soil microbial biomass and activity in long-term grassland: effects of management changes. Soil Biol. Biochem. 27, 969–975. CrossRef
- Lovell R D and Jarvis S C 1996 The effect of cattle dung on the soil microbial biomass in a permanent pasture soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 28, 291–299. CrossRef
- Monaghan R M and Barraclough D 1993 Nitrous oxide and dinitrogen emissions from urine-affected soil under controlled conditions. Plant and Soil 151, 127–138.
- Mosier A, Shimel D, Valentine D, Bronson K and Parton W 1991 Methane and nitrous oxide fluxes in native, fertilized and cultivated grasslands. Nature 350, 330–332. CrossRef
- Sherlock R R and Goh K M 1983 Initial emissions of nitrous oxide from sheep urine applied to pasture soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 15, 615–617. CrossRef
- Skiba U, Smith K A and Fowler D 1993 Nitrification and denitrification as sources of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide in a sandy loam soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 25, 1527–1536. CrossRef
- Steudler P A, Bowden R D, Melillo J M and Aber J D 1989 Influence of nitrogen fertilization on methane uptake in temperate forest sites. Nature 341, 314–316. CrossRef
- Tecator 1984 Determination of ammonia N in water by flow injection analysis and gas diffusion. Application note ASN 50–04/84 Perstop Analytical Co. Ltd, Thornbury, Bristol, UK.
- Thomas R J, Logan K A B, Ironside A D and Bolton G R 1988 Transformations and fate of sheep urine-N applied to an upland UK pasture at different times during the growing season. Plant and Soil 107, 173–181. CrossRef
- Vance E D, Brookes P C and Jenkinson D S 1987 An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biol. Biochem. 19, 703–707.
- Whitehead D C and Bristow A W 1990 Transformations of nitrogen following the application of15N-labelled cattle urine to an established grass sward. J. Appl. Ecol. 27, 667–678.
- Whitehead D C and Raistrick N 1993 Nitrogen in the excreta of dairy cattle: changes during short-term storage. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb) 121, 73–81.
- Effects of urine on soil microbial biomass, methanogenesis, nitrification and denitrification in grassland soils
Plant and Soil
Volume 186, Issue 2 , pp 265-273
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nitrous oxide
- nitric oxide
- soil microbial biomass
- soil respiration
- urine patches
- Industry Sectors