Effects of the “Amoco Cadiz ” oil spill on an eelgrass community at roscoff (france) with special reference to the mobile benthic fauna
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In October 1977 an investigation was initiated of the qualitative and quantitative composition of the fauna of the eelgrass (Zostera marina) beds at Roscoff. Samples were taken in 2 seagrass beds at different tidal levels in order to follow numerical changes in the course of the year. In March 1978 the area of study was struck by the oil slick of the tanker “Amoco Cadiz ”. For this reason sampling has been continued at the same frequency. The tabulated results show clearly that the oil slick had a profound but selective influence on the various animal groups; some of them disappeared while others were apparently unaffected. Rapid recovery of some species has taken place, but re-establishment of other species, particularly the filter feeders has not been observed. The very diverse amphipod fauna has disappeared, and has been replaced by a population ofPherusa fucicola andGammarus locusta; the latter was absent in the year before the oil disaster took place.
- Blois, J. C., Francaz, J. M., Gaudichon, M., Gaudichon, S. & Le Bris, L., 1961. Observations sur les herbiers à Zostères de la région de Roscoff. — Cah. Biol. mar.2, 223–262.
- De Beauchamp, P., 1914. Les grèves de Roscoff. Paris, 270 pp.
- Hyland, J. L., 1978. Onshore survey of macrobenthos. In: The Amoco Cadiz oil spill. Ed. by W. N. Hess. Washington, 216–228. (NOAA/EPA Spec. Rep.)
- Jacobs, R. P. W. M., 1979. Distribution and aspects of the production and biomass of eelgrass,Zostera marina L., at Roscoff (France). — Aquat. Bot.7, 151–172. CrossRef
- Jacobs, R. P. W. M., 1980. Effects of the “Amoco Cadiz” oil spill on the seagrass community at Roscoff with special reference to the benthic infauna. — Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.2, 207–212.
- Joubin, L., 1909. Recherches sur la distribution océanographique des végétaux marins dans la région de Roscoff. — Annls Inst. océanogr., Monaco1 (1), 1–17.
- Pruvot, G., 1897. Essai sur les fonds et la fauna de la Manche occidentale (côtes de Bretagne), comparés à ceux du Golfe de Lion. — Archs Zool. exp. (Ser. 3)5, 511–617.
- Effects of the “Amoco Cadiz ” oil spill on an eelgrass community at roscoff (france) with special reference to the mobile benthic fauna
Volume 33, Issue 1-4 , pp 182-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links