Piezoelectric wafer active sensor embedded ultrasonics in beams and plates
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we present the results of a systematic theoretical and experimental investigation of the fundamental aspects of using piezoelectric wafe active sensors (PWASs) to achieve embedded ultrasonics in thin-gage beam and plate structures. This investigation opens the path for systematic application of PWASs forin situ health monitoring. After a comprehensive review of the literature, we present the principles of embedded PWASs and their interaction with the host structure. We give a brief review of the Lamb wave principles with emphasis on the understanding the particle motion wave speed/group velocity dispersion. Finite element modeling and experiments on thin-gage beam and plate specimens are presented and analyzed. The axial (S 0) and flexural (A 0) wave propagation patterns are simulated and experimentally measured. The group-velocity dispersion curves are validated. The use of the pulse-echo ultrasonic technique with embedded PWASs is illustrated using both finite element simulation and experiments. The importance of using high-frequency waves optimally tuned to the sensor-structure interaction is demonstrated. In conclusion, we discuss the extension of these results toin situ structural health monitoring using embedded ultrasonics.
- Krautkramer, J. andKrautkramer, H., Ultrasonic Testing of Materials, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1990).
- Blitz, J. andSimpson, G., Ultrasonic Methods of Non-Destructive Testing, Chapman and Hall, London (1996).
- Cawley, P., “Quick Inspection of Large Structures Using Low Frequency Ultrasound,” Structural Health Monitoring—Current Status and Perspective, Fu-Kuo Chang, editor, Technomic, Inc. (1997).
- Rose, J.L., Ultrasonic Waves in Solid Media, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1999).
- Rose, J.L., “NDE Applications, of Guide Waves,” 7th Non-Destructive Evaluation Topical Conference, ASME International, April 23–25, San Antonio, TX (2001).
- Duke, J.C. Jr., Acousto-Ultrasonics—Theory and Applications, Plenum, New York (1988).
- Crawley, E.F. andLazarus, K.B., “Induced Strain Actuation of Isotropic and Anisotropic Plates,”AIAA Journal,29 (6),944–951 (1991).
- Tzou, H.S. andTseng, C.I., “Distributed Piezoelectric Sensor/Actuator Design for Dynamic Measurement/Control of Distributed Parametric Systems: A Piezoelectric Finite Element Approach,”Journal of Sound and Vibration,138,17–34 (1990). CrossRef
- Dimitriadis, E.K., Fuller, C.R. andRogers, C.A., “Piezoelectric Actuators for Distributed Vibration Excitation of Thin Plates,”Journal of Vibration and Acoustics,113,100–107 (1991).
- Lester, H.C. andLefebvre, S., “Piezoelectric Actuator Models for Active Sound and Vibration Control of Cylinders,”Journal of Smart Materials and Structures,4,295–306 (1993).
- Song, O. and Librescu, L., “Vibration and Instability of Spinning Thin-Walled Beams Featuring Anisotropy and Pretwist, and Incorporating Adaptive Capabilities,” Proceedings of the SPIE 5th International Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, March 1–5, Catamaran Resort Hotel, San Diego, CA, paper 3323–49 (1998).
- Saravanos, D.A. andHeyliger, P.R., “Coupled Layewise Analysis of Composite Beams with Embedded Piezoelectric Sensors and Actuators,”Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures,6 (3),350–363 (1995).
- Keilers, C.H. andChang, F.-K., “Identifying Delamination in Composite Beams Using Built-in Piezoelectrics: Part I—Experiments and Analysis; Part II—An Identification Methods,”Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures,6,649–672 (1995).
- Chang, F.-K., “Manufacturing and Design of Built-in Diagnostics for Composite Structures,” 52nd Meeting of the Society for Machinery Failure Prevention Technology, Virginia Beach, VA, March 30–April 3 (1998).
- Chang, F.-K., “Structural Health Monitoring: Aerospace Assessment,” AeroMat 2001, 12th ASM Annual Advanced Aerospace Materials and Processes Conference, 12–13 June, Long Beach, CA (2001).
- Moetakef, M.A., Joshi, S.P. andLawrence, K.L., “Elastic Wave Generation by Piezoceramic Patches,”AIAA Journal,34 (10),2110–2117 (1996).
- Lakshmanan, K.A. andPines, D.J., “Modeling Damage in Composite Rotorcraft Flexbeams Using Wave Mechanics,”Journal of Smart Materials and Structures,6 (3),383–392 (1997).
- Blanas, P., Wenger, M.P., Shuford, R.J. and Das-Gupta, D.K., “Active Composite Materials and Damage Monitoring,” Proceedings of the International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford University, CA, September 18–20, 199–207 (1997).
- Blanas, P., Wenger, M.P., Rigas, E.J. and Das-Gupta, D.K., “Active Composite Materials as Sensing Element for Fiber Reinforced Smart Composite Structures,” Proceedings of the SPIE North American Conference on Smart Structures and Materials, Proceedings of the SPIE 3329, San Diego, CA, march 1–5 (1998).
- Lichtenwalner, P.F., “Local Area Damage Detection in Composite Structures Using Piezoelectrics,” Proceedings of Smart Structures and Materials, Santiago, CA, March 1–6 (1998).
- Jiang, Z., Kabeya, K. and Chonan, S., “Longitudinal Wave Propagation Measuring Technique for Structural Health Monitoring,” Proceedings of the SPIE Conference on Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, Newport Beach, CA, March (1999).
- Osmont, D., Devillers, D. and Taillade, F., “A Piezoelectric Based Health Monitoring System for Sandwich Plates Submitted to Damaging Imppacts,” European Congress of Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering ECCOMAS 2000, Barcelona, September 11–14 (2000).
- Giurgiutiu, V., Redmond, J., Roach, D. andRackow, K., “Active Sensors for Health Monitoring of Aging Aerospace Structures,”7th SPIE Annual International Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, 5–9 March, Newport Beach, CA, paper 3985–103, Vol.3985, 294–305 (2000).
- Giurgiutiu, V. andZagrai, A., “Embedded Self-Sensing Piezoelectric Active Sensors for On-Line Structural Identification,”ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics,124,116–125 (2002).
- Bartkowicz, T.J., Kim, H.M., Zimmerman, D.C. and Weaver-Smith, S., “Autonomous Structural Health Monitoring System: A Demonstration,” Proceedings of the 37th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, April 15–17 (1996).
- Boller, C., Biemans, C., Staszewski, W., Worden, K. and Tomlinson, G., “Structural Damage Monitoring Based on an Actuato-Sensor System,” Proceedings of SPIE Smart Structures and Integrated Systems Conference, Newport, CA, March 1–4 (1999).
- ANSI/IEEE Standard 176, IEEE Standard on Piezoelectricity, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (1987).
- Kolsky, H., “Stress Waves in Solids,”Dover Publications, New York (1963).
- Viktorov, I.A., Rayleigh and Lamb Waves—Physical Theory and Applications, Plenum Press, New York (1967).
- Graff, F.K., “Wave Motion in Elastic Solids,”Oxford University Press, Oxford (1975).
- Deutsch, W.A.K., Cheng, A. andAchenbach, J.D., “Focusing of Rayleigh Waves: Simulation and Experiments,”IEEE Transactions of Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control,46 (2),333–340 (1999).
- Piezoelectric wafer active sensor embedded ultrasonics in beams and plates
Volume 43, Issue 4 , pp 428-449
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Piezoelectric wafers
- piezoelectric sensors
- active sensors
- in situ diagnostics
- structural health monitoring
- elastic waves
- shear waves
- axial waves
- flexural waves
- Rayleigh waves
- Lamb waves
- plate waves
- surface waves
- wave speed
- group velocity
- acousto ultrasonics
- Industry Sectors