Outcomes of severe disorders of language acquisition
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Data on speech, language, performance IQ, school placement, and behavior are presented on 18 subjects diagnosed in childhood as “aphasic” and followed through adolescence. Results reveal that slow but steady growth in language is made, with expressive skills showing somewhat more rapid progress than comprehension. Performance IQ is highly correlated with language skills in later childhood and, along with receptive skill, is a good predictor of school placement. The diagnostic and prognostic implications of this information are discussed.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Author, Washington, D.C.
- Aram, D., Nation, J. (1980) Preschool language disorders and subsequent language and academic difficulties. Journal of Communication Disorders 13: pp. 159-170 CrossRef
- Arthur, G. (1952) Arthur Adaptation of the Leiter International Performance Scale. Psychological Services Center, Washington, D.C.
- Beery, K., Buktenica, N. (1967) Developmental Test of Visual Motor Integration. Follett, Chicago
- Caparulo, B. K., Cohen, D. J. Developmental language studies in the neuropsychiatric disorders of childhood. In: Nelson, K. E. eds. (1983) Children's language. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey, pp. 423-463
- Caparulo, B. K., Cohen, D. J., Rothman, S. L., Young, J. G., Katz, J. D., Shaywitz, S. E., Shaywitz, B. A. (1981) Computed tomographic brain scanning in children with developmental neuropsychiatric disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry 20: pp. 338-357
- Cohen, D. J. (Ed.). (1982). Clinical research in child psychiatry [Whole issue].Schizophrenia Bulletin, 8.
- Cohen, D. J., Caparulo, B., Gold, J. R., Waldo, M. C., Shaywitz, B. A., Ruttenberg, B. A., Rimland, B. (1978) Agreement in diagnosis. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry 17: pp. 589-603
- Cohen, D. J., Caparulo, B., Shaywitz, B., Bowers, M. (1977) Dopamine and serotonin metabolism in neuropsychiatrically disturbed children: CSF homovanillic acid and 5-hydroxy-indoleacetic acid. Archives of General Psychiatry 34: pp. 545-550
- Ajuriaguerra, J., Jaeggi, A., Guignard, F., Kocher, F., Maquard, M., Roth, S., Schmid, E. The development and prognosis of dysphasia in children. In: Morehead, D., Morehead, A. eds. (1976) Normal and deficient child language. University Park Press, Baltimore, pp. 345-386
- Doll, E. A. (1965) Vineland Social Maturity Scale. American Guidance Services, Circle Pines, Minnesota
- Dunn, L., Dunn, L. (1981) Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test. American Guidance Services, Circle Pines, Minnesota
- Eisenson, J. (1972) Aphasia in children. Harper & Row, New York
- Foster, R., Giddan, J., Stark, J. (1973) Assessment of children's language comprehension. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto
- Gardiner, M. (1979) Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test. Academic Therapy Publications, California
- Garvey, M., Gordon, N. (1973) A follow-up study of children with disorders of speech development. British Journal of Disorders of Communication 8: pp. 17-28
- Goyette, C. H., Conners, C. K., Ulrich, R. T. (1978) Normative data on revised Conners parent and teacher rating scales. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 6: pp. 221-236 CrossRef
- Griffiths, C. P. S. (1969) A follow-up study of childen with disorders of speech. British Journal of Disorders of Communication 4: pp. 46-56
- Hall, P., Tomblin, B. (1978) A follow-up study of children with articulation and language disorders. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders 43: pp. 227-241
- King, P. R., Jones, C., Lasky, E. (1982) In retrospect: A fifteen year follow-up report of speech-language disordered children. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in the Schools 13: pp. 24-32
- Kirk, S., McCarthy, J., Kirk, W. (1968) Illinois Test of Psycholinguistic Abilities. University of Illinois Press, Urbana
- Miller, J., Chapman, R. S., & McKenzie, H. (1981).Individual differences in the language acquisition of mentally retarded children. Paper presented at the Second International Congress for the Study of Child Language, Vancouver, August.
- Newcomer, P. L., Hammill, D. D. (1971) Test of language development. Empiric Press, Austin, Texas
- Paul, R., Cohen, D. J., Caparulo, B. K. (1983) A longitudinal study of patients with severe developmental disorders of language learning. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry 22: pp. 525-534
- Raven, J. C. (1960) Standard progressive matrices. H. K. Lewis, London
- Rimland, B. (n.d.). Form E-2.Diagnostic Checklist for Behavior Disturbed Children. San Diego: Institute for Child Behavior.
- Ruttenberg, B. A., Dratman, M., Fraknoi, S., Wenar, C. (1966) An instrument for evaluating autistic children (BRIACC). Journal of American Academy of Child Psychiatry 5: pp. 453-478
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., Cicchetti, D. V. (1984) Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, Minnesota
- Stark, R. E., Tallal, P. (1981) Selection of children with specific language deficits. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders 46: pp. 114-122
- Waldo, M., Cohen, D. J., Caparulo, B., Young, J., Prichard, S., Shaywitz, B. (1978) EEG profiles of neuropsychiatrically disturbed children. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry 18: pp. 656-668 CrossRef
- Wiig, E. H., Semel, E. M. (1980) Language assessment and intervention for the learning-disabled. Charles E. Merrill, Columbus, Ohio
- Young, J. G., Kavanagh, M. E., Anderson, G. M., Shaywitz, B. A., Cohen, D. J. (1982) Clinical neurochemistry of autism and associated disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 12: pp. 147-166 CrossRef
- Outcomes of severe disorders of language acquisition
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 405-421
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors