Ineffectiveness of imipramine in children who fail to respond to methylphenidate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ten hyperactive children who had failed to respond to methylphenidate were treated with imipramine in a placebo-controlled, crossover design. No significant drug effects were obtained either on parent and teacher ratings of the child's behavior or on the child's performance in a laboratory measure of sustained attention. Findings suggest that imipramine has limited clinical usefulness in the treatment of hyperactive children who fail to respond to methylphenidate.
- Barkley, R. A. A review of stimulant drug research with hyperactive children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1977,18, 137–165.
- Brown, D., Winsberg, B. G., Bialer, I., & Press, M. Imipramine therapy and seizures: Three children treated for hyperactive behavior disorders.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1973,130, 210–212.
- Conners, C. K. A teacher rating scale for use in drug studies with children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1969,126, 152–156.
- Greenberg, L. M., & Yellin, A. M. Blood pressure and pulse changes in hyperactive children treated with imipramine and methylphenidate.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1975,132, 1325–1326.
- Hayes, T. A., Panitch, M. L., & Barker, E. Imipramine dosage in children: A comment on “Imipramine and electrocardiographic abnormalities in hyperactive children”.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1975,132, 546–547.
- Kopera, H. Anticholinergic and blood pressure effects of mianserin, amitriptyline and placebo.British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 1978,5, 29S-34S.
- Lake, C. R., Mikkelsen, E. J., Rapoport, J. L., Zavadil, G. P., III, & Kopin, I. J. Effect of imipramine on norepinephrine and blood pressures in enuretic boys.Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 1979,26, 647–653.
- Millichap, J. G. Drugs in the management of minimal brain dysfunction.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1973,205, 321–334.
- Petti, T. A., & Campbell, M. Imipramine and seizures.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1975,132, 538–540.
- Rapoport, J., & Mikkelsen, E. J. Antidepressants. In J. S. Werry (Ed.),Pediatric psychopharmacology: The use of behavior modifying drugs in children. New York: Brunner Mazel, 1978.
- Rapoport, J. L., Quinn, P. O., Bradbard, G., Riddle, K. D., & Brooks, E. Imipramine and methylphenidate treatments of hyperactive boys: A double-blind comparison.Archives of General Psychiatry, 1974,30, 789–793.
- Rosvold, H. E., Mirsky, A. F., Sarason, I., Bransome, E. D., Jr., & Beck, L. H. A continuous performance test of brain damage.Journal of Consulting Psychology, 1956,20, 343–350.
- Saraf, K. R., Klein, D. F., Gittelman-Klein, R., Gootman, N., & Greenhill, P. EKG effects of imipramine treatment in children.Journal of the Academy of Child Psychiatry, 1977,17, 60–69. CrossRef
- Saraf, K. R., Klein, D. F., Gittelman-Klein, R., & Groff, S. Imipramine side effects in children.Psychopharmacologia, 1974,37, 265–274. CrossRef
- Silbergeld, E. K. Neuropharmacology of hyperkinesis. In W. B. Essman (Ed.),Current developments in psychopharmacology (Vol. 4). New York: Spectrum, 1977.
- van Praag, H. M.Depression and schizophrenia. New York: Spectrum, 1977. P. 111.
- Werry, J. S., Dorwick, P. W., Lampen, E. L., & Vamos, M. J. Imipramine in enuresis: Psychological and physiological effects.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1975,16, 289–299.
- Werry, J., & Sprague, R. Hyperactivity. In C. Costello (Ed.),Symptoms of psychopathology. New York: Wiley, 1970.
- Winsberg, B. G., Bialer, I., Kupietz, S., & Tobias, J. Effects of imipramine and dextroamphetamine on behavior of neuropsychiatrically impaired children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1972,128, 1425–1431.
- Winsberg, B. G., Goldstein, S., Yepes, L. E., & Perel, J. Imipramine and electrocardiographic abnormalities in hyperactive children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1975,132, 542–545.
- Winsberg, B. G., Yepes, L. E., & Bialer, I. Pharmacologic management of children with hyperactive/aggressive/inattentive behavior disorders: Suggestions for the pediatrician.Clinical Pediatrics, 1976,15, 471–477.
- Yepes, L. E., Balka, E. B., Winsberg, B. G., & Bialer, I. Amitriptyline and methylphenidate treatment of behaviorally disordered children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1977,18, 39–52.A1260002 00002 CS-SPJRNPDF [HEADSUP]
- Ineffectiveness of imipramine in children who fail to respond to methylphenidate
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 129-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Long Island Research Institute, Health Science Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, T-10, 11794, Stony Brook, New York
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11794, Stony Brook, New York
- 3. Downstate Medical Center, USA